Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
robm82
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Milner

Backup to tape job only using a single drive

Post by robm82 »

Hello all,

I have setup a Veeam V9 backup to tape job, which for some reason is only using a single tape drive when there are currently two drives available for use:

On the Media Pool in question, I have set in the options to enable parallel processing and for the job to use both drives simultaneously:

In the tape job, there is only a single backup job as we currently backup all VM's to a single job which I believe helps to improve dedupe and compression:

Am I correct in thinking that perhaps we need to create multiple backup jobs and split out the VM backups so that they can utilise both drives? I would have thought by now in Veeam V9, that a single job could utilise multiple backup drives as this is something that our legacy backup product has been able to do for many years.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backup to tape job only using a single drive

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Am I correct in thinking that perhaps we need to create multiple backup jobs and split out the VM backups so that they can utilise both drives?
You need to have multiple backup chains, i.e. parallel processing will kick off in case you have either per-VM backup chain in your source job, or if you have multiple jobs selected as a source.

Thank you.