Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bhammond
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Hammond

Feature Request - Add individual VMs to Backup to Tape

Post by bhammond »

We would like the ability to add individual VMs to Backup to Tape jobs. Our Backup Jobs are organized by function - Accounting backup with 6 servers in it, however only 3 of them contain Data. I would like to be able to schedule the tape archive with different retention periods by server. This would be possible if there was a From backups... selection option as there is in the backup copy jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request - Add individual VMs to Backup to Tape

Post by veremin »

In order to achieve your goal you can leverage combination of per-VM backup chain and files to tape job. Thanks.
bhammond
Novice

Post by bhammond »

That might work for a location with a single copy of a server in a single location but how does this get me the Last full backup of my Tax server 4 times a year from my scale-out repository?
With backup jobs being capable of doing per-VM backups to Scale-out repositories it makes more sense to let the scheduling engine handle it.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

That might work for a location with a single copy of a server in a single location but how does this get me the Last full backup of my Tax server 4 times a year from my scale-out repository?
Pre-job activity finding and setting the latest full backup as a job source and proper schedule options should be a way to go. Though, I understand that it's not that convenient as one'd expect.

If I'm not mistaken, you appear to be the first one to submit this request. So, thank you for the feedback; highly appreciated.
bhammond
Novice

Post by bhammond »

Looks like there have been similar requests, just not worded the same. However unless you can point me to an example of a Pre-job activity finding and setting the latest full backup as a job source (on a scale-out repository) - I have been unable to find a full path to the files with a script. It sounds like I am limited to the 2 other options I have seen, break it down to a singe server per job (70 Servers) or set up another repository and second set of jobs to stage the monthly jobs to go to tape.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If SOBR consists of ordinary Windows-based extents that can be easily seen through PowerShell, you can use this script.

Though, it stands to reason to modify it slightly, as SOBR differs from simple repository - multiple extents mean that you have to search for a needed file in multiple locations.

Thanks.