Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LampchenKo
Influencer
Liked: never

Recover from Replica

Post by LampchenKo »

Hi...

I have this case:

Two months ago I made a one time only Replication job of a virtual machine from one site to another. Job was successful. Replicated VM was turned on on the next day by someone (via vSphere, not Failover in B&R) and it is the one that has been running from the past two months. The original one was deleted. Now, the server got corrupted and no backups exist since it was considered a "non-critical server" (until now hehe). When I go to Veeam B&R, I see that that in the Ready section of the replicas is that precise replica made two months ago. Now, since the "replica" is the one that is running now, what will it happened if I make a "failover now" ? Or, can I still use that replica to go to how the server was two months ago ?

Please advice :) !!!

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Recover from Replica

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
If you didn`t start the replication job after the original VM had been deleted, you should be able to perform Permanent Failover.
You will get the state when the replication job successfully ran(2 months ago).
To avoid tricky situations like this one, it`s recommended to make backups of needed VMs.
Thanks!
LampchenKo
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by LampchenKo »

Hi, Shestakov !

I was able to perform the permanent failover with the replica made two months ago, now I have that server under my backup scheme. Thanks for the answer :) !
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Perfect!
Time to make a backup not lose the VM :)