Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dave2k7
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Restore Speed to VMFS Datastores - Veeam 4.1.1

Post by dave2k7 »

Hi,

which Transfer rates do you have, if you use the option "Entire VM (including registration). After setting the Host, Datastore and Resource Pool, the Restore starts with 3 MB/s ..... max 10 MB/s.
Is that ok? We are using fat ESX Clients with the option "Force service console agent mode" ... i read, that this should accelerate my backup times.

Other Restores (specific VM files only) to my local pc are running with 60 MB/s ... of course it can´t be that fast while restoring to a VMFS Datastore.... but 10 MB/s max?

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Restore Speed to VMFS Datastores - Veeam 4.1.1

Post by Gostev »

Sounds like 100Mbit connection somewhere there... check out switches/NICs, may be something had failed over to 100Mbit from 1Gbit.
dave2k7
Enthusiast

Post by dave2k7 »

Well, our service consoles are connected with 100 Mbit ..... good point, there is no other way to restore except the connection to the service console?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dave, right now you can perform VM restores using network stack/service console connection only.
dave2k7
Enthusiast

Post by dave2k7 »

Okay, so i have to live with 10 MB/s ..... cant upgrade the service connection speed..... will Veeam 5 bring new opportunities to restore except the service console connection?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In case we are talking about LAN-free restores, then there are certain issues using vStorage API that make direct SAN restores extremely slow right now.

However, using Instant VM Recovery technology coming up with V5 will make the process of VM's restores less painfull with limited connection links. For more information on Instant VM Recovery please have a look at these links:
http://jfvi.co.uk/2010/08/11/vpower-its ... -any-more/
http://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-backup- ... overy.html (search for Instant VM Recovery)

Hope this helps!