Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
kumartc
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Udaya Kumar

CSV pause state error while backup jobs are running

Post by kumartc »

We have noticed our 2012 -r2 Hyper-V hosts showing plenty of below CSV paused state error in the system event log during backup window
System Error 5120: Cluster Shared Volume "CSV Name" has entered a paused state because of '(c00000b5)'. All I/O will temporarily be queued until a path to the volume is reestablished.
The above error noticed most of CSVs and only happening during when backup jobs are running
We use Veeam B&R 9 Patch 1, 2012-r2 Hyper-V and EqualLogic PS6110 and HITKIT(V-4.8.x) is installed on hosts for HW snapshot.
Any inputs to resolve this issue is highly appreciated
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: CSV pause state error while backup jobs are running

Post by alanbolte »

Make sure all Windows updates and recommended hotfixes are installed on these hosts.

Have you tried enabling storage latency control?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also I would suggest to install Veeam ONE free edition and check storage performance metrics for your volumes during backup job run.
cshepfam
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Post by cshepfam » 2 people like this post

Been fighting this issue for awhile now and finally got it resolved. First I updated each host server with all the new Windows Updates. One of the just released updates addresses VMs failing when running backups, however that didn't work for me.

What worked is updating my Broadcom Netxtreme Drivers. It was running on a 2014 driver which enabled VM Queuing which was the issue. The new 2015 driver has that disabled. Once I updated all the Broadcom drivers the issue was resolved and my replications and backups started working correctly without crashing my VMs.