Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mlamontagne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael LaMontagne

A better way to copy vbks

Post by mlamontagne »

Hello, I wanted to share that I found using eseutil to copy a vbk is about 3x faster than robocopy. Eseutil using the /y /d switches copies large files using an unbuffered method, only draw back is you can only copy one file at a time.

Here's a simplified script

@echo off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set SOURCE=\\vbkstorage\Veeam\
set DEST=e:\Veeam\

copy c:\Backups\extract.exe e:\Veeam\

for %%f in (%SOURCE%\*.vbk) do (
echo Started: %date%, !time! >>c:\backups\VBKs.txt
c:\backups\ESEUTIL.exe /Y %%f /D %DEST%\%%~nxf >>c:\backups\VBKs.txt
)

echo complete %date%, !time! >>c:\backups\VBKs.txt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: A better way to copy vbks

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Michael,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums and thanks a lot for sharing the script with us!
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

yeah, eseutil is a GREAT way of copying large files, take also a look at this 2007 post of microsoft http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/arch ... ssues.aspx

this has somehow been defused since w2008r2 against w7 standard copy modes because of several tweaks of microsoft, including the tcp scaling heuristics. but then again, the eseutil method works on any much older os and is very slick and easy.

thanks for sharing this idea!!!
SecondCity
Enthusiast
Full Name: SC IT Admin

Post by SecondCity »

I'm actually running my Veeam server on 2008R2 VM right now. Will eseutil not help me? I'm noticing my copies are pretty slow (around 10 MB/sec). Then again, I'm going from USB -> USB through my ESX 4.1 host.

I took both drives and put them on a spare, physical Win2k3 SP2 server and it was pretty slow, as well.
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Post by SecondCity »

Sorry, just realized this is a little bit of apples/oranges, since my copies are local and this thread speaks of network transfers. Still, does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up USB -> USB transfers?
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

nope, forget about that. usb to usb or usb to disk single sucks when it comes to speed. better consider another method, 1g ethernet or better 10g ethernet (but the last one with a high speed raid or a 10gbe san). you won´t touch the limit of a 1 gig ethernet connection with a physical hard drive. you will nearly touch 3 gig with a sandforce 1200 or 1500 ssd equiped with latest sata technology (f.e. the crucial c300) but to touch 10 gig you have to have a cute raid system or a good san (eqls new 10 gig sas arrays do pretty well, btw).

best regards,
joerg
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Post by SecondCity »

...and I'd *LOVE* the budget for that, jeorg. Thanks, though! :-D