Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vini
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Vincent

Error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Post by Vini »

Support ID 00345180

For a while now we've been receiving the following error... Nothing changed prior to this error, but we upgraded to V9 Update 1 after noticing this error, just to see if that helped. It didnt.

Code: Select all

14/04/2016 10:57:31 :: Error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Failed to open file [\\san.fqdn.address\volume\backupjob\backupjob.vbm_3_tmp].
--tr:Error code: 0x0000001f
--tr:Failed to call DoRpc. CmdName: [FcWriteFileEx] inParam: [<InputArguments><FilePath value="\\san.fqdn.address\volume\backupjob\backupjob.vbm_3_tmp" /><DesiredAccess value="1073741824" /><ShareMode value="0" /><CreationDisposition value="2" /><FlagsAndAttrs value="0" /><Offset value="0" /><BytesToWrite value="0" />
We raised a ticket with Veeam and with our SAN provider, Veeam suggested an issue with the SAN, the SAN team suggest a Veeam problem.

As it felt like we were going nowhere fast, I had a quick play today, and found that cloning the Veeam job(s), allowed the backup(s) to complete. The problem here is that the new job has no 'history' which means our 31 recovery points are effectively gone/unusable.

I also found that if I copied the 'old' job directory on the SAN, and remapped an existing job, this allowed the existing Jobs to work. I have only managed to do this once, due to the sheer size of the jobs.

It seems like a GUID/permission or something small has broken and needs to be refreshed. Any ideas?
Vini
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Vincent

Re: Error: A device attached to the system is not functionin

Post by Vini »

You can probably ignore this now, I moved the old data to a different directory, I then rescanned the backup repository so they now show under Disk (imported).

Running the jobs again forced the creation of new directories, and touch wood, all seems to be well now.