Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Corners
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Feedback from a Symantec user (and feature request)

Post by Corners » 1 person likes this post

I am a consultant that primarily uses Symantec products (now Veritas) products for my customers. Service over there has been getting worse and worse (to the point of uselessness) so I decided to look at Veeam.

I just installed Endpoint on one of my personal machines because one of my customer's maintenance on SSR is coming up for renewal in a few months and I wanted to review options.

I understand this is a free product and it looks promising. Note that "free" is not a large factor in the decision making process.

Some features that would be critical for adoption would include the following:
1.) A central management console for deploy, monitoring, and configuration changes
SSR has a crappy, bloated web based one but it does do the job.

2.) control over how often full images are taken vs incremental
On this customer we save 6 months, new full images at the beginning of every month then incremental after. Without any compression we get very high DeDup rates from the native WS2012R2 data server.

As I mentioned I am still testing it out so I will try to keep this post updated as I see more of the software.

Richard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Feedback from a Symantec user (and feature request)

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Richard - and welcome!

Actually, this product was designed from ground up for personal use by IT Pro (exactly how you are using it), where these features and flexibility are not really needed - so please keep that in mind during your testing when something does not match your expectations coming from an enterprise backup product.

Basically, we don't want to bloat this product with unneeded features to end up being yet another SSR ;) so going forward, this product is unlikely to change its current concept and purpose, and will keep getting only features relevant to the use case.

Now, of course it does not mean we cannot have another solution based on the same engine for desktop and server backup in enterprise environments in the future. And, if we are to build such offering, of course it will eventually have centralized management capabilities and advanced features we provide today in our enterprise backup product for virtual machines, Veeam Backup & Replication - which was actually one of the reasons of Symantec demise :D

Thanks!
Corners
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Post by Corners » 1 person likes this post

SSR as a stand alone app is fine... it's just the management console that is a bit bulky (but works).

While testing I am treating the software as a very mature beta so missing features and upcoming changes are expected.

I hope you offer an enterprise version at some point that has the necessary management and configuration options.

There is the preference to stay on one backup solution. So switching to Veeam for Hyper-v nodes to replace BE is off the table too.

Richard
Black6spdZ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul K

Post by Black6spdZ »

I agree central management of VEB should be made possible but I would expect it to be part of the paid VBR package
yosemity
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mikhail

Post by yosemity »

I agree central management of VEB should be made possible but I would expect it to be part of the paid VBR package
surmise, it`s impossible in free version VBR. Configuration through comand line is most of all that's needed to VEB users.