Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Write whole backup chain to multiple media sets?

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi all,

What the process to backup the whole backup chain to multiple media sets? I have for example backed up my VBK and VIB files to my week3 tapes. For whatever reason I want to also back them up to my Week4 tapes so i insert the Week4 tapes into the autoloader (and format them for good measure) and start the backup job. However all it wants to copy was the VIB incremental file that didnt make it on the week 3 tapes rather than the whole chain (I select backup job in the source).

Should't Veeam realise that the media set that I am writing to doesnt hold a backup chain and write the whole chain to it?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Write whole backup chain to multiple media sets?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Aaron,
The described behavior is expected. Backup to tape job doesn`t copy same backups on tapes several times.
If you need several copies of backups on tapes, I would suggest to create another backup to tape job.
Thanks!
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Shestakov wrote:Hi Aaron,
The described behavior is expected. Backup to tape job doesn`t copy same backups on tapes several times.
If you need several copies of backups on tapes, I would suggest to create another backup to tape job.
Thanks!
Okay so there is no logic in checking what the tapes already have just source logic in that it will only write once per job so to speak..

Okay I will work around it. Thanks for the quick reply and clarification
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Correct. The option to break tapes into media sets can vary from case to case so VBR doesn`t check what is written on the media sets.
The second job should work in your case.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Okay,is the logic any different if I chose the backup repository as the source rather than the individual VM's? If that were the case, does veam check what is on the tape already so it knows what to write in terms of whats in the repository or is it the same logic as in once its written it, its not going to write it again?

If that is the case, where do I submit a feature request being an option to 'One Way Sync' in terms of backing up to tape so that when the job starts it checks the destination for its contents and writes what is missing so if you wish to write the same set twice you merely have to insert a new media set and it will know that the destination does not carry the source files and then writes them thus capturing the initial VBK and and VIB's that may be there
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Given
Shestakov wrote:Correct. The option to break tapes into media sets can vary from case to case so VBR doesn`t check what is written on the media sets.
The second job should work in your case.
What changes if you erase a tape? The reason I ask is that if I change media sets for example the job you have said that it will only write what has not written before (an individual VIB for example as opposed to the whole chain) but if I erase a tape and then run the job again it will write the whole chain again. Does the process of erasing a tape 'reset' the written flag (for want of a better description) for the data so that it now knows that there is no data on the tape so it writes the whole set as the tape is empty?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

aaron@ARB wrote:Okay,is the logic any different if I chose the backup repository as the source rather than the individual VM's? If that were the case, does veam check what is on the tape already so it knows what to write in terms of whats in the repository or is it the same logic as in once its written it, its not going to write it again?
In terms of writing backups on tape, the logic is same. Otherwise if you move tapes offline to protect them, VBR would always write all the files on tapes, what doesn`t look efficient. As I said, the easiest way to get 2 copies of backups on tapes is to create a second job.

This forum is the best place for the feature requests. Your feedback is already taken into account.
Thanks!