Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

Tape-Jobs for GFS

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

I am using GFS for Tapes since Saturday and I am happy to use such an easy solution. There are still some little questions/issues, perhaps someone could me before I start a support ticket.

“Move all offline tapes into the following media vault” is activated for the weekly backups. The backup was on Saturday and I removed the tapes on Monday but although they are now marked as offline the tapes were not moved into the created media vault.

What happens when I start an Active Full (e.g. for weekly) manually on Monday? Which restore point will be used and does the job wait on new restore points? What is the difference between Active Full and just Start the job manually?

What happens when I configured the weekly backup for Saturday (based on backup jobs) and one of the linked backup jobs does not run on Saturday but on Sunday? Does GFS wait on the next restore point although it is not on Saturday?

One last thing: I have three linked backup jobs to this GFS job and I get a failure notification where all three jobs are marked as successful with an error message in the details of two jobs:
„Synthetic full
Creating full backup map for …
Failed to detect backup files to copy to tape from …“

Why do I get the failure notification when the job was successful? It seems to me that there was a temporary problem with the connection to the backup repository. I have the same thing with backup copy jobs where the backup was successful.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Tape-Jobs for GFS

Post by Shestakov »

Hello redhorse,
redhorse wrote:“Move all offline tapes into the following media vault” is activated for the weekly backups. The backup was on Saturday and I removed the tapes on Monday but although they are now marked as offline the tapes were not moved into the created media vault.
What GFS settings do you have? If you have the same schedule for weekly/monthy/quarterly backups, the "oldest" media set will be used
redhorse wrote:What happens when I start an Active Full (e.g. for weekly) manually on Monday? Which restore point will be used and does the job wait on new restore points? What is the difference between Active Full and just Start the job manually?
When you start the job manually it will instantly search for all new restore points and write them on tapes. The job will not wait for new restore points.
redhorse wrote:What happens when I configured the weekly backup for Saturday (based on backup jobs) and one of the linked backup jobs does not run on Saturday but on Sunday? Does GFS wait on the next restore point although it is not on Saturday?
No, it will not wait for the next day. The tape GFS job will wait only until 23.59pm of Saturday.
redhorse wrote:One last thing: I have three linked backup jobs to this GFS job and I get a failure notification where all three jobs are marked as successful with an error message in the details of two jobs:
„Synthetic full
Creating full backup map for …
Failed to detect backup files to copy to tape from …“

Why do I get the failure notification when the job was successful? It seems to me that there was a temporary problem with the connection to the backup repository. I have the same thing with backup copy jobs where the backup was successful.
Let me double-check, is that the error or warning message? Have you manually deleted any backup files of the source jobs?
Thanks
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

Re: Tape-Jobs for GFS

Post by redhorse »

Hello Shestakov,
Shestakov wrote:What GFS settings do you have? If you have the same schedule for weekly/monthy/quarterly backups, the "oldest" media set will be used
perhaps my description was not clear enough. The move to the vault is not working, I enabled it for all GFS schedules but it didn't work. Yesterday I updated to the latest Version perhaps it works on the next backup on Saturday (monthly backup).
Shestakov wrote:When you start the job manually it will instantly search for all new restore points and write them on tapes. The job will not wait for new restore points.
Okay, what happens when I start an active full backup? Will it be a full backup of the latest restore point with the chosen retention for the active full (weekly, etc.)?
Shestakov wrote:No, it will not wait for the next day. The tape GFS job will wait only until 23.59pm of Saturday.
Which time is relevant for the decision if the restore point will be chosen for GFS? The start time of the backup? Let's say a backup starts on a "GFS-Day" at 23.30 and is finished at 2.00 next day, will it be copied to GFS-Tape?

Shestakov wrote:Let me double-check, is that the error or warning message? Have you manually deleted any backup files of the source jobs?
The status of the whole GFS Backup is failed (error message) and the error message is relating to two endpoint backup jobs but the jobs are marked as successful.