Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StayThirstyMyFriends
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: michael l williams

How to Migrate Veeam to New Backup Server?

Post by StayThirstyMyFriends »

Currently running Veeam 9 U1 on a physical Windows 2008 server, backing up 3 ESXi hosts w/ 18VMs, iSCSI SAN transport. Doing disk-to-disk and disk-to-tape backups. We have a new physical Windows 2012 server we are going to migrate Veeam to, as replacement for the Windows 2008 server. The new server has Veeam 9.1 installed. Hoping to export/import as much of the Veeam infrastructure as possible to the new server to avoid recreating the wheel. Want to replicate the repository, jobs, tape infrastructure, histories, everything. Is this possible for layman to do, or do we need to open a case? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How to Migrate Veeam to New Backup Server?

Post by Gostev »

Please search our support KB, there's an article available for this for sure (I've ran into one recently). Thanks!
StayThirstyMyFriends
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: michael l williams

Post by StayThirstyMyFriends » 1 person likes this post

Fount it in KB1889. Thx.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

If you don't mind could you post a follow up once you finish. I would be interested to know how this went for you with v9.
Do you use Veeam to tape out? If so I would be particularly interested to know how this all works out with the new way media pools and tapes are handled.

I also have a physical Veeam server and will need to perform this cut-over at some point in the future.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Alan, could you elaborate on what you're particular interested in? Whether the configuration backup preservers Global and GFS media pool settings? Whether it's possible to migrate media pools along with their configurations from one backup server to the other? Something different? Thanks.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

In previous versions the media pools were more tightly integrated with the tape libraries. I am assuming when you install Veeam on the new server and detect a tape drive or library it isn't going to have the same unique identifiers as it does on the old server. I am not really sure on that. At one point on my current system I had 2 libraries. One was offline (old) and one was online (new) even though they were the same libraries. I worked with support and we were able do some work in SQL to get everything into the right media pools so I could remove the offline library. With v9 you can now select a library or multiple libraries to that go with a specific media pool.

I wonder if after moving the configuration over to the new server if the tapes and all of the cataloged information comes over properly or if you have to do any magic to make it all appear where it should. I suspect this will not be an issue with the new way v9 handles medial pools.

One feature I would really like to see is the ability to move tapes between media pools without marking them as free and removing their cataloged information. Also, without having to insert the actual tape and re-catalog to a new media pool. I have had occasions where I wanted to keep a tape which was already offsite longer than the current retention period. For example moving a tape from Weekly to Monthly retention. There is no current way to do that without recalling the physical tape and re-cataloging it into the correct pool manually.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Alan,
after moving the configuration over to the new server if the tapes and all of the cataloged information comes over properly or if you have to do any magic to make it all appear where it should. I suspect this will not be an issue with the new way v9 handles medial pools.
Configuration backup in terms of tape support works the same way as you described. All the media and media pools should appear after you performed the recovery of the server’s configuration.
One feature I would really like to see is the ability to move tapes between media pools without marking them as free and removing their cataloged information
We keep track of this request, so thank you - your vote is counted.