Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
SCSM_Martin
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Martin Turgeon

Feature request: Tape ejection when full

Post by SCSM_Martin » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I opened a case about this (01763953) and was told that it was expected behaviour and that I should post a feature request on the forum. And here we are!

Veeam 9.0 Update 1 with a 8 slots HP LTO4 tape backup library connected by SCSI to a physical tape server.

Whenever a tape is full and there is no other tape from the same media pool available in the tape library, the tape stays in the drive until a tape is replaced by another one that has free space. When Veeam sees the new tape, it ejects the full tape from the drive to the library slot and loads the new tape. For example, in a 8 slots library, I have 6 slots for the Weekly tapes and 2 slots for the Daily tapes. When both Daily tapes are full, I have 1 Daily tape in the drive and 1 Daily tape in the library. At that point, I have to open the library to replace the Daily tapes but I can only replace the tape that is in the library because the other one is still in the drive. When I replace 1 tape, Veeam loads the new Daily tape and ejects the full Daily tape in the library. Only then can I replace the 2nd Daily tape with a new one.

Why not eject the tape as soon as it's full? There is no point in keeping it in the drive and this would prevent me from having to open the library twice in 5 minutes. The tape jobs are configured to "Eject media upon job completion" and this is working great. The issue is only when there is no tape available in the library. I had this behaviour in 8.0 and there was no change after the upgrade to 9.0 Update 1.

Thanks!

Martin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature request: Tape ejection when full

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Martin,

As of now the described behaviour is indeed expected. A written tape stays in drive, till a library gets stuffed with free media.

However, thank you for the request, we'll see what can be done in this regard, based on the customers' demand.
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Post by kkuszek »

That's a good idea. Every once in a while when a job is completed I notice the tape still in the drive when I go to rotate media. I agree, if there is no active task it should return the tape if not requested to eject... period. I can't see an instance where the tape should remain in the drive unless explicitly told to.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your voice has been heard. Thank you for the feedback; highly appreciated.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

And a tape should also be automatically ejected after a 'Restore Files from Tape Job'.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Didi7,

Are you talking about optional eject after recovery?
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Automatically or optionally, what ever! Maybe the possibility to enable 'Eject' with every manual tape operation job, like catalog, erase, inventory and restore.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Got it - thanks a lot! Counted as a feature request.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Thanks.