Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

More detailed info on tape usage / age

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

please correct me if I'm wrong, but currently there seems to be only very basic information about tapes.

When I look at the tape properties, there is only Barcode, Library, Location, Media pool and capacity information.

Much more important information for a tape I would like to see is:

- Tape age (when was it used first, when the last time)
- Total (K/M/G/T)bytes written / read

I would like to have this information to be able to replace older tapes.

Is there any way to get this information in Veaam B&R?

Thomas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: More detailed info on tape usage / age

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Thomas,

You are correct - this information is not displayed in the UI. To clarify, do you want to replace the media prior its expiration based on this information? VBR automatically determines tape media being expired and place it to the corresponding ‘Expired’ media pool.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Dima P. wrote:VBR automatically determines tape media being expired and place it to the corresponding ‘Expired’ media pool.
Ok, so the usage is stored somewhere internally and Veeam moves the tape out of the media pool and notifies me?

But what is the threshold? And is it possible to see which tapes are near "end of life", so I can get new tapes?

Normally I take a set of tapes each year as an archive so it would be good to be able to not remove brand new tapes from the media pool.

Thomas
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Post by Didi7 »

Unfortunately, the media pool 'Free' and the media pool 'Expired' only appears, when there is media available and you cannot expire media to a Retired media pool as well. I would be happy to have additional tape media Information as well.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

But what is the threshold?
As far as I know, this info is stored inside the tape chip – we just request this information prior running the tape job.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Dima P. wrote:As far as I know, this info is stored inside the tape chip – we just request this information prior running the tape job.
Hmm... so who decides when to expire the media, the manufacturer of the media?

There are many factors that influence tape life time - such as temperature and humidity of the tape storage, just to name two, I think it would be better to give the Veeam user the control over this, there might even be some company rules when to expire the tape.

And I would rather like to say "retire", because expire is already used inside Veeam in a different context.

Because to be very precise, the retention setting of the media pool does not control the physical media expiration but the expiration of the backups stored on the media

Thomas
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hmm... so who decides when to expire the media, the manufacturer of the media?
Correct. The mentioned factors are controlled and monitored by device vendor and vary from one manufacturer to the other.

So, the current approach we have looks more or less logical to me - let device manage tape durability, and stop working with those cassettes that have been marked as retired by a library or a drive. Such medias are moved to the "Retired" Media Pool and existing jobs won't use them any longer.

Thanks.