Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shuji
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan

limit the outbound traffic from Offsite gateway to mainsite

Post by shuji »

Hi there,

The data uploaded from remote gateway back to main site during the initial stage of a backup copy job has taken all the upload bandwidth, which causes the problems for the internet usage of the remote office.

Site A: main site
Site B: remote Site

I have created a network traffic rule A to B to avoid taking all download bandwidth of B, set to 4 Mbps.
However, when I tried to create another rule for B to A, set to 40 KB/s, the whole backup copy process slowed down. The upload rate from gateway server to backup copy target is also slowed down. If I remove the second rule, the backup copy processing rate is resume again. Why was that?

How can I effectively limit the outbound traffic from Offsite gateway server to mainsite?

Thank you
Ryan
shuji
Enthusiast

Re: limit the outbound traffic from Offsite gateway to mains

Post by shuji »

I just observed the network traffic of a backup copy job.

First, the gateway server downloaded lots of data from the NAS for backup copy. Then the gateway server sent the summary back to the mainsite backup server. Finally, mainsite uploaded backup copy data to gateway server.

This is the bandwidth usage of the gateway server to mainsite during the second part. I want to limit it down to 40KB/s. But it seems to me the traffic rules doesn't apply here at all.

Does Veeam has any solution on this?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

1. Throttling rules are bi-directional (each rule works in both directions).
2. How your source and target repositories are configured in Veeam B&R? Both are CIFS shares? What gateway servers do they use?
shuji
Enthusiast

Post by shuji »

Yes. Both of them are stored in QNAPs with CIFS shares. The mainsite use the Veeam Backup server as gateway server. Offsite has it own gateway server, whose bandwidth was shown in the second post.

In any case, the network traffic rule does not work at all during the information gather and upload phase, which causes major problems.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

So the rule should throttle traffic that goes in both directions between the gateways.
shuji
Enthusiast

Post by shuji »

Hi foggy,

I have set the rules in the first post and never changed it. But I still get the bandwidth usage in the second post
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

If you feel like the rules don't work as expected, please contact support for a closer look at what's happening.
shuji
Enthusiast

Post by shuji » 1 person likes this post

Feature Request based on reply on case #01779440:
add network throttle to any communication before the start of Veeam moving data.

This is the current mechanism of Veeam:
"With how our network throttling works, I have checked and confirmed, but this only applies to the data transfer portion of the job when you see the read amount and percentage increase. Any communication before the start of Veeam moving data is not included in our network throttling rules."
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right, throttling applies to the actual data transfer only. The observed activity could be related to some auxiliary traffic, for example, metadata transfer, which is indeed not throttled. Thanks for coming back to update the thread, much appreciated.