Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jpokorny42
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Pokorny

Is it possible to replicate a replica

Post by jpokorny42 »

I have been struggling to come up with an appropriate offsite solution using Veeam only over a WAN. I have read the many posts regarding rsync, but do not want to setup additional VMs for backup/replication targets.

~ 4 VMs per site all v7
~ 10MB link per site
all DAS storage (very small SMB)

I thought I struck gold by replicating a replica which gave me replication times in the 2 hour time frame, however, upon closer inspection I am not sure if it was actually replicating anything significant since the vrb files were all the same size. Replicating the source VMs are taking a bit over 24 hours which is not acceptable (yes, I am using CBT).
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Is it possible to replicate a replica

Post by tsightler »

As far as I know, you can replicate a replica, but you can't use CBT for that job since the CBT file is not updated when source VM is replicated to the target. Disable CBT for the second "replicate the replica" job and I think it will work, although I'm not sure if it's supported.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Tom is correct, with CBT disabled in the job settings it is supported.
maxbbs
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Max Edwards

Post by maxbbs »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question guys... Is there any mechanism in place which would ensure the second replica didn't replicate a disk that was in the process of being updated?

For example, If I have a live VM (LIVE) replicating locally (REPLICA1) which is then replicated to a remote replica (REPLICA2). If the LIVE to REPLICA1 job is running (updating the vmdk files) when the remote replica job starts... won't that end up with a corrupt replica at the remote location?

Thanks
Max
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Max,

In order to avoid such situations I would probably use a post backup job script functionality under advanced job settings to daisy chain the jobs. If you happen to replicate a replicated VM that is being updated, there won't be any warnings....I've just tried that.

Thank you for bringing this up.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Come on... if disk changes were a problem, then how would we be able to successfully perform hot backups of live VMs, which disks are ever changing while our job is running? :)