Management reporting and documentation
velk22
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian V

Backup Job Historical information DETAILS

Post by velk22 »

Is there a way to get the VM details of each job run, in one report? "Backup job historical information" contains the info, however, I then have to drill down "backed up VM's" to see the details for each job, and that's only if my operators are viewing with the web portal, the PDF, doesn't let you drill down the the VM details. The only solution is to create a single job for each server so that each job corresponds at the higher level to ONE "backed up VM". Which isn't really convenient. We were told to group like servers in fewer jobs to take advantage of deduplication, so the report setup directly against that. I need to see the total duration, MB/sec, GB size, transferred, start time, per VM in each report nightly. Any thoughts? I was told by Veeam support to post here to find out a solution. Otherwise, I have to find a way to extract the data from the SQL Express database myself.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Job Historical information DETAILS

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Brian and welcome to the community!
velk22 wrote:Is there a way to get the VM details of each job run, in one report? "Backup job historical information" contains the info, however, I then have to drill down "backed up VM's" to see the details for each job, and that's only if my operators are viewing with the web portal, the PDF, doesn't let you drill down the the VM details.
That`s not currently possible. Report can contain hundreds drill-down subreports which take time to be generated. Saving all the drill-downs with the report itself is not a convenient solution for most of the cases. We are working on the elegant solution to be implemented in next versions.
However you can save generated drill-downs(subreports) in .pdf in current version.
velk22 wrote:The only solution is to create a single job for each server so that each job corresponds at the higher level to ONE "backed up VM". Which isn't really convenient. We were told to group like servers in fewer jobs to take advantage of deduplication, so the report setup directly against that. I need to see the total duration, MB/sec, GB size, transferred, start time, per VM in each report nightly. Any thoughts?
Combining several VMs into a single job helps with deduplication if you don`t use hardware deduplication on target.
How many VMs and jobs do you have?
Thanks!
velk22
Novice

Post by velk22 »

We aren't concerned with the storage on the SAN at this point- Veeam deduplication isn't going to save us enough to worry about it. I was really more focused on having fewer jobs, with a clean report on each VM details- for only 37 VMs at this time, 1 job per is fine- and we'll wait for the next version. It just wasn't the answer I was hoping for. Is there a method recommended for extracting the data ourselves until the next version?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point. Having 37 VMs in a single job is much convenient in terms of management. There is no recommended method to extract data from DB.
What we are planning to implement is a custom data report so you can choose desired details of particular objects, such as VM or job.
velk22
Novice

Post by velk22 »

I'll keep an eye out for the new version. Any timeframe we can expect? Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

General availability of Veeam Availability Suite v9.5 (includes Veeam B&R and Veeam ONE) is targeted to the second half of this year (actual release date will depend mostly on Windows Server 2016 RTM availability).
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hi everyone,
2 years after the last post, we have the exact same requirement: we want to list the single VMs in the "Backup Job Historical Information" Report that will be saved by the scheduler. Was this implemented in the reporter? Who can i use this?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Tobias and welcome to the community!
Shestakov wrote:What we are planning to implement is a custom data report so you can choose desired details of particular objects, such as VM or job.
This functionality appeared in v9.5 as expected. However it's not a direct analog of "Backup Job Historical Information" report drill-downs.