Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mxx
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Exclude file masks limited to certain volume

Post by mxx »

Hi,

I have difficulties with file masks that should only apply to certain volumes.

To exclude everything from TMP and TEMP dirs, the following works great:
*\TMP\*;*\TEMP\*
... but obviously all volumes are scanned for those paths.

When I try to limit this to a certain volume by specifying a drive letter, it doesn't work:
c:\*\TMP\*

Maybe c:\*temp* does work, but that would also match for hddtemp, cputemp etc.

Is this not possible yet?
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Exclude file masks limited to certain volume

Post by veremin »

Are talking about guest -> processing -> applications -> files exclusions settings? If so, and you want to exclude only two folders (TMP and TEMP) from volume C:\, why not to set "C:\TMP" and "C:\TEMP" as the folders to exclude? Thanks.
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb » 1 person likes this post

mxx is right,

It looks like as soon you use a drive letter as documented here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... usion.html. This information seems to get stripped. Here is how it look like on the proxy.

Code: Select all

Opening WAN synchronization data-source, specification '<sourceDiskSpec><liveDiskSpec digestCalcMode="OnRead" blockSizeKb="256" capacity="42949672960" prevId="44f4dca4-cd73-4d54-80a8-5f338acf2665:edc10787-b88c-4486-ab2a-fd4bcd9cce83:2000:snapshot-4100"><FsAwareSpec BlockSize="262144" MetaId="curr:edc10787-b88c-4486-ab2a-fd4bcd9cce83:2000" UseCurrentMeta="True"><DiskPreprocessingSpec PreprocessingType="Exclude"><MbrRecord DiskId="2113483374" PartitionOffset="1048576">[b]<ExcludeMask>\Data</ExcludeMask>[/b]</MbrRecord></DiskPreprocessingSpec></FsAwareSpec><diskConnSpec id="44f4dca4-cd73-4d54-80a8-5f338acf2665:edc10787-b88c-4486-ab2a-fd4bcd9cce83:2000:snapshot-4102" path='nfs://<nfs host="x.x.x.x1" mount="/XXXXXX" disk=".snapshot/XXXXXXXX-flat.vmdk" />' /><sparseCbt><ctk swapFilter="True" specStartOffset="0" /></sparseCbt></liveDiskSpec><contentTypes><os type="EVeeamOs2012R2_64" /><apps><app type="SQL" /><app type="System" /></apps></contentTypes></sourceDiskSpec>'.
In my case, I try to exclude tempdb.mdf/templog.log off my SQL Replica which are located on T:\Data\.

Oli
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

v.Eremin wrote:Are talking about guest -> processing -> applications -> files exclusions settings? If so, and you want to exclude only two folders (TMP and TEMP) from volume C:\, why not to set "C:\TMP" and "C:\TEMP" as the folders to exclude? Thanks.
Yes, I'm talking about this functionality (which is awesome BTW).
Specifically talking about wildcard searches limited to certain drive letters.

c:\temp and c:\tmp works, but of course only for those specific absolute locations.

I was trying to use wildcards for directories.
For example searching all directories on certain volumes for folders named TMP to exclude them.

This does work correctly when not specifying drive letters!
*\TMP\* --> works (*\TMP\ would be enough I guess), excluding only folders named TMP, anywhere and on ALL drives.

c:\*\TMP\* --> doesn't work.

(following the documentation stating "<drive_letter>:\*mask* - All paths on the specified volume that contain the given sequence.")

So while it seems that *mask* accepts "\" as part of the mask, it doesn't anymore as soon as it's restricted to a certain volume.
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb » 1 person likes this post

Exception as T:\*temp* ends as *temp" while indeed T:\Data\ makes T:\Data\* in the job log.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

mxx wrote:c:\*\TMP\* --> doesn't work.
How do you tell it doesn't work? Does it actually exclude anything on other volumes in this case or you're judging by the record in the job session log?
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

foggy wrote: How do you tell it doesn't work? Does it actually exclude anything on other volumes in this case or you're judging by the record in the job session log?
Nothing at all gets excluded on this drive.
When specifying the same pattern without any drive restriction, it excludes files (also) on this same volume.
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

Since I can't edit anymore, to be more specific regarding your question: "Nothing at all gets excluded on this drive" also means nothing gets excluded anywhere.

So basically: *\TEMP\ excludes files on all drives (especially on c:)
c:\*\TEMP\ excludes nothing, anywhere
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

May I ask you to open a support case and post its number here? Our QA team is interested to analyze the corresponding logs to get better understanding regarding the root cause of the experienced behaviour. Thanks.
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx »

I'll do that!
Thanks!
mxx
Enthusiast

Post by mxx » 2 people like this post

Thanks for looking into this and sorry, it was of course my fault!
I was preparing a simple test job in order to submit its logs with opening the case, but wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

Now I know what my error was:
I thought I could use multiple masks WITH driver letters in one and the same entry (like in the masks example, just with drive letters)
Like this: c:\*\TMP\*;c:\*\TEMP\*;c:\*\Downloads\*

But this only works for masks without drive letters like *\TMP\*;*\TEMP\*;*\Downloads\*

When specifying a drive letter, each exclusion needs its own entry, then it works.

Sorry for the stolen time!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for finding time to update the thread, much appreciated.