Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
barrnunn
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: IT Department

Feature Request - Failed Exchange Restores

Post by barrnunn »

I recently upgraded to Veeam B&R v9 with update 1. I actually performed a clean new install on a new Windows 2008 R2 server and recreated all my old jobs from scratch. After running backups on the new server, I attempted to run some test restores to make sure the complete solution was working. I was able to restore files with no problem except from my Exchange 2010 server. I could perform guest file restores from that server, but not able to restore from the Exchange store. I contacted support (Case # 01781010) and they sent me a reference to https://www.veeam.com/kb1906 that indicated the server needed to have IE 10+ installed and if it already did that the server also needed "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (X64)" installed. Since my server already had IE11 installed I then installed the "C++ 2008..." and was then able to perform restores from my Exchange server store from my existing backups.

My question, however, is that why would the installation of the latest version of Veeam B&R not install this along with all the other required components needed for the product to work? At the very least checking for the required component and providing a warning/alert that it may be needed if Exchange restores were going to be performed. The support person responded that it was a good question and that I should bring it to the forum. Not sure why a known installation "bug" of this magnitude would not have already been addressed and fixed in an update.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Failed Exchange Restores

Post by foggy »

In fact, the setup does verify whether all the required software is installed and suggests to install the missing one.