Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ratchet
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Jones

Surebackup Suggestion

Post by Ratchet »

Surebackup just does not work for me with VM's based on server 2008 r2. The OS does not retain the original IP settings and no matter what the tests fail, even when you tell it not to do any tests. This is with the KB from MS that is supposed to sort out this issue.

Can you not change the way this works to allow you if you need to, to set a sandbox up of a VM using the virtual lab with static IP mappings and not have the system decied what to do once the test fail?

I have a customer with Symantec cluster software on their file servers and they cannot do file level recovery because Veeam does not support the disk format this nasty peice of software converts it to.

All i want to do is fire up the file server up in a virtual lab, get access to it and not have to fight through the process of adding the IP information back into the server in time for the Veeam system to decied that its worth keeping up. I want to decied that not the software. It has to be one of the most frustrating elements of what is the best backup software package i have ever used and if this was sorted out i would be so happy because the local admin on this site could then restore files as needed with out me losing my cool and nearly putting my screen through with my fist.

Now if there is some thing else i can do to get this working or theres some configuration changes i can make i would be more than happy to apply them.

I have one file server in the application group, and the virtual lab is set with a static ip map to this server. If 2008r2 kept the IP details the system would reply but it doesnt and thats the issue.

Thanks for any help

Paul
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Surebackup Suggestion

Post by PTide »

Hi,
The OS does not retain the original IP settings
Does it have a static IP in production, or it obtains it via DHCP?
and no matter what the tests fail, even when you tell it not to do any tests.
Do you mean that despite you've disabled all boot verification options SureBackup still attempts to perform test, i.e. ping test?
I have one file server in the application group, and the virtual lab is set with a static ip map to this server. If 2008r2 kept the IP details the system would reply but it doesnt and thats the issue.
What are the settings that you've specified in Static IP Mapping Rules? Also what are your vNic Network Settings in vLab?

Thank you.
Ratchet
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Jones

Post by Ratchet »

The Vm in question has a static IP.

And yes i have disabled all tests for boot verification.

The settings for the static IP mappings i have taken an unused IP in the production range and mapped it to the IP of the VM in question. So when you want to access the VM via unc path all you do is use the mapped address.

The Vnic settings has the setting of the gateway of the production range as its static IP. And i have left the masquerade settings as standard.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Have you already applied MS patch described in VMware KB? If so then please open a case with our support team and post your case ID in this thread.

Thank you.