Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwpreston
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: mike

Help with backup of large sql server

Post by mwpreston »

Hi, I'm getting the following error on just one of my backups jobs. A very large sql server....Any help would be appreciated....

Backing up file "[datastore] VM/VM-flat.vmdk"
BackupDisk failed
Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[datastore]VM/VM.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [VCIP];Port: 443;Login: [VeeamUsr];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-8819];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-21868];Transports: [hotadd]] failed because of the following errors:

Server error: End of file

Any help here would be appreciated....I'm backing a few other sql servers up using vss just fine....

Mike
Alexey D.

Re: Help with backup of large sql server

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Mike,

Assuming that you are using Virtual Appliance mode, please review this topic, it might be helpful:
HotAdd Error: The specified transports are not available.

If none of the listed options works for you, please contact our support team for further investigation.
Thanks!
mwpreston
Enthusiast

Post by mwpreston »

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the following statement.

• LUN with Veeam Backup server is located should have capacity more than (or equal) the capacity of the disk which is being hot added. Actual free space can be less than hot added virtual disk size.

Does this mean that the datastore that the Veeam vmdk sits on must have free space greater than the disk it is backing up? Or does it mean the target that I am backing up to must have the free space?

That being said if it is the first, if I am backing up a disk of 250 mb, I would have to leave 250 mb free on the datastore that my veeam vm is running on, as well as I need the free space on my backup target?

Thanks,
Mike
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

This means that overall LUN size must be larger than size of a disk to hot add.
Ex: if a LUN where Veeam Backup VM resides has a capacity of 500Gb, only disks under 500Gb may be hot added. And it doesn't matter how much free space left.
mwpreston
Enthusiast

Post by mwpreston »

so, which lun? The lun where there veeam vm resides, or the lun that hosts my backup target?
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

I think it must be the Destination (Backup target).

Otherwise, how could you even create a disk larger than the LUN size on the source side?? Thin Provisioning maybe, although I've never tried creating one bigger than the LUN size..
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This vStorage API limitation refers to the LUN where backup server VM resides.