Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mhu817
Novice
Liked: never

use of re-IP feature for Exchange and Citrix TerminalServer

Post by mhu817 »

Hi folks

We are in a evluation phase of Veeam B&R and would like to build a DR site (connected via WAN link) and use the Re-IP feature to use all our VMs in case of failover.

I have googled a lot but not found any information about the use of this feature in combination with Exchange 2016 and XenApp 7.8 TerminalServer and SQL Instances

Is it recommendet to do so? Is the Exchange still fully functioning when doing a Replication to DR with Re-IP feature?

Thanks for your help and best regards
Martin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: use of re-IP feature for Exchange and Citrix TerminalSer

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Martin,

Given that you also update target site DNS server to resolve hostnames to correct IP addresses, I believe it should be fine. BTW, here is one example of changing IP address for the Exchange server > Changing the IP addresses of Exchange 2013 servers in a DAG (it's for Exchange 2013, but still worth looking at).

On a side note, if you want to test the behavior of your applications after changing its IP addresses, why not spin up a SureBackup job (on demand sandbox) and run all the modifications inside the isolated lab?

Thanks!
mhu817
Novice

Post by mhu817 »

Hi Vitaliy

Thanks for your reply!
Given that you also update target site DNS server to resolve hostnames to correct IP addresses, I believe it should be fine
Is that something we have to do manually once we are "live" with the DR site or is this something Veeam B&R can do?

Do you maybe have some "Best Practice" Guides about Replication and using the Re-IP feature? It looks like there is not much to find in the web and therefore we are a little careful in using it.

best regards
Martin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mhu817 wrote:Is that something we have to do manually once we are "live" with the DR site or is this something Veeam B&R can do?
You should do it manually, or configure a cold copy of DNS server in advance at the DR site.
mhu817 wrote:Do you maybe have some "Best Practice" Guides about Replication and using the Re-IP feature? It looks like there is not much to find in the web and therefore we are a little careful in using it.
I don't think there is any best-practices document for re-ip, since this operation is pretty-straight forward, however we have Veeam B&R v8 best practices document (written by our solution architects), worth looking through > https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/bp_vsphere/
mhu817
Novice

Post by mhu817 »

OK!

I just think that Exchange and SQL Server are very "IP sensitive", that's why we are asking for information in this case.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's why I also suggested to leverage this technology (without affecting your prod infrastructure) > Virtual Lab
mhu817
Novice

Post by mhu817 »

Perfect, then we will try this out.

Is it possible to create a re-IP SureBackup job out of a existing backup job?
As far as I understand I can only make SureBackup Job out of existing backup job without using the re-IP feature, but we want to try this feature out.

best regards
Martin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

SureBackup job does not perform re-ip, but you can do that manually once the VM is up&running in the isolated lab.