Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
sanmanatl
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Luken

Win 10VM on Hyper-V fail snapshot step

Post by sanmanatl »

I was running V8 and recently upgraded to V9 and update 1. I have a small system with 11 Vms, and since doing the upgrade all the Win 10-1511 Vms are either failing or posting warnings about inability to take snapshots. I have applied all updates to Windows 2012-R2, and all available security updates are applied. I have followed your suggestions for Win 2012-R2 Hyper-V fixes and all were already applied. The Previous Versions space is set to unlimited. The Integration services are all running in the guests. All 2012 R2 VMs backup fine.

3 Win 10 VMs complete with following warning every day: Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Crash consistent) Details: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot. Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot.) Task has been rescheduled

One Win 10 fails every day with following message: Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Crash consistent) Details: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot. Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Crash consistent) Details: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot. Error: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot.

Support Case 01771776 has been opened, but wondering if anyone else is seeing this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Win 10VM on Hyper-V fail snapshot step

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please review Windows Event log for VSS related issues? What errors do you see there?
sanmanatl
Lurker
Full Name: Keith Luken

Post by sanmanatl »

There were no VSS issues in the guest and most of the time there were non in the host logs. I verified all the Integration services settings and enabled Guest Services (even though backups was checked) for all VMS (some had it checked, some did not).

I did make 2 changes that fixed it. First I changed the indexing to not index an files inside the guests. The other change was on the advanced settings tab I UNCHECKED the box that says to "allow processing of multiple VMs with a single volume snapshot." I have turned guest indexing back on and will see what happens with the next backup.
Steen
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steen

Post by Steen »

I installed a new Windows 10 and also get this error:
Guest processing skipped (check guest OS VSS state and hypervisor integration components version)
After unchecking Application aware and index backup worked.
Regards Steen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Steen,

Your solution, indeed, resolves this issue, however when you disable AAIP (application aware image processing) all your applications are not backed up in the consistent state (VSS is not used). I would strongly recommend to contact our support team and verify why AAIP engine skips your Windows 10 VM.

Thanks!
CorbinD
Novice
Full Name: Terry Bennett

Post by CorbinD »

Has there been any progress on this issue with Windows 10 VM and Server 2012R2 since this forum post or since this KB article has been posted?
https://www.veeam.com/kb2185

I am having this issue and thought I would follow up here before putting in a support ticket.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Terry
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

Just follow the KB article, you will not lose any functionality by disabling Application-Aware processing and using native Hyper-V Quiescence instead unless your VM is running SQL Server, Oracle or Exchange and you need Veeam to truncate the log files for you. Native Hyper-V Quiescence will still use VSS to ensure a consistent backup.
mjhaider
Lurker
Full Name: MJ Haider

Post by mjhaider »

By using the above link you can verify whether the Integration service on your VM are newer than the integration services on host by simply opening the Hyper-V host Event viewer. Go through the article for more details.

MJ Haider