Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
riahc3
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John

Feature request: Non image/archive based file per file backu

Post by riahc3 »

Although not recommended, I'd like to see a Robocopy style file per file backup solution. One that just copies files to another destination, without making a image or anything. This allows Veeam integration when making backups but restoring does does not depend on Veeam and can be done in other ways.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature request: Non image/archive based file per file b

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

Thanks for your feature request! How many files would you like to protect this way? Do you currently use something like OneDrive/DropBox for these purposes?

Thanks!
riahc3
Expert

Post by riahc3 »

I cant give a number of folders/files...Its a bit about 1.5TB.

Image is better and can be compressed but I think the option should be there to do a plain and simple file per file backup, with hash checking or non hash checking.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, 1.5 TB of files/folders would be a lot of data to backup. Thanks for your FR, though if you want to have a solution right now file sync solutions should be a way to go.

BTW, if you're using Veeam B&R, you can try file copy jobs that are doing exactly what you're asking for.
riahc3
Expert

Post by riahc3 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, 1.5 TB of files/folders would be a lot of data to backup. Thanks for your FR, though if you want to have a solution right now file sync solutions should be a way to go.
I do not have a reliable solution right now.
Vitaliy S. wrote: BTW, if you're using Veeam B&R, you can try file copy jobs that are doing exactly what you're asking for.
Veeam B&R can do file per file, non image based backups? I could have sworn I never saw that option.
riahc3
Expert

Post by riahc3 »

I see. Im going to a Windows server to a Synology NAS. So, with this I only need the Veeam to backup correct? Restoring, I can go directly to the NAS and view the files right?

I want to download Veeam's trial and give it a show on a NAS that I have where there is a lot of data (copied it over almost manually) but just want to make sure it does what I think it does.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

riahc3 wrote:Veeam B&R can do file per file, non image based backups? I could have sworn I never saw that option
Yes, please take a look at this online help center page for more info > File Copy
riahc3 wrote:I see. Im going to a Windows server to a Synology NAS. So, with this I only need the Veeam to backup correct? Restoring, I can go directly to the NAS and view the files right?
Yes, all files will be stored in their native format, so that you can copy them back when needed.
riahc3 wrote: I want to download Veeam's trial and give it a show on a NAS that I have where there is a lot of data (copied it over almost manually) but just want to make sure it does what I think it does.
Yes, give it a go, though the main purpose of Veeam B&R is backup of VMs, you can still copy files to any destination > Job Types