Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Hussain Mahfood

The new v9 and few questions

Post by HussainMahfood »

Hi,

I have few quick question as I am just switching to per-vm single job.

1) how to exclude VM in tape backup job that has a source with the new per-vm jobs or repository ?

2) if repository is windows 2012 r2 de-duplication, How we compress the files going to tapes? (do we need to enable hardware compression or you have another option)

3) how to schedule a tape backup job on last day of the month and after the job run? (set to schedules at time)

4) do we still need the registry DisablePublicIPTrafficEncryption=1 to speed up tape job?

Thanks for the great product
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: The new v9 and few questions

Post by PTide »

Hi,
1) how to exclude VM in tape backup job that has a source with the new per-vm jobs or repository ?
You cannot exclude a VM from Backup to Tape job. If you want to exclude some specific VM then you'll need to exclude that VM from the source backup job.
2) if repository is windows 2012 r2 de-duplication, How we compress the files going to tapes? (do we need to enable hardware compression or you have another option)
Please take a look at this post.
3) how to schedule a tape backup job on last day of the month and after the job run? (set to schedules at time)
Just to make sure we are on te same page - do you want to schedule Tape job to start after source backup job but only on the last day of each month?
4) do we still need the registry DisablePublicIPTrafficEncryption=1 to speed up tape job?
Yes, that key can still speed up the job.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

HussainMahfood wrote:1) how to exclude VM in tape backup job that has a source with the new per-vm jobs or repository ?
You can exclude specific VM backups (in case of per-VM chains) in the file to tape job.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Post by HussainMahfood »

@PTide

Question 3. yes we are in the same page. this is what I am looking for.

@foggy
I want to exclude it only during transfer to the tape backup job. Not during the backup to disk using per-vm
is it possible? I cannot see the option in the backup to tape job type and @PTide answer it is not possible.

---
Thanks guy for the answers. I wish veeam put more effort in the backup to tape in term of schedule (two types at same time), Speed, exclude a VM from Backup to Tape job and compression as I see the veeam compression much better than hardware compression.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I was talking about File to Tape jobs, where you can specify files to be backed up, not Backup to Tape jobs.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Post by HussainMahfood »

Thanks @foggy

Then I wish to have these features which is simple to implement and useful to IT admins:
- schedule (two types at same time) . for example last day of the month after a daily job
- Tape Speed backup
- exclude a VMs from Backup to Tape job
- Add Veeam Compression for jobs going to tapes from a deduplication (Veeam compression far better than hardware)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

<...>schedule (two types at same time) . for example last day of the month after a daily job
May I ask you why would not you use " If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to … minutes" check box? When a backup to tape job starts, Veeam Backup & Replication checks the status of the linked backup jobs. If a linked backup job is still writing data to the source repository, the backup to tape job will wait for the specified time interval.
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast

Post by HussainMahfood »

Thanks for the tip. I would use it