Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Consistency in reporting bandwidth

Post by k00laid »

In a future release could you please consider changing the way your report processing rate in the Statistics screen to bits instead of bytes? This would make it match most everywhere else such things are measured including your own Network Throttling feature. I was reminded once again today that this is different when troubleshooting a networking issue.
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Consistency in reporting bandwidth

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Jim - we will definitely not be making this change, as it is very unusual and not standard to measure backup processing speed in bps. I have no idea what do you mean by "matching most everywhere else" as we don't report performance in bps anywhere else either? Moreover, even network throttling rule can be set in KB/s for convenience. Thanks!
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Post by k00laid »

Gostev, anytime you start talking or buying bandwidth it is always done in bps. I am currently troubleshooting an issue with slow uplink to a Cloud Connect provider and trying to match consistency between statistics in Veeam (Bps), Network connectivity on the source repository (bps), through the network devices (again bps) and finally to the other side (again bps) the Veeam statistics is what stands out.

Your rule can be set to KB/s but by default is Mbps, can we be given the option the same way for statistics?
Jim Jones, Sr. Product Infrastructure Architect @iland / @1111systems, Veeam Vanguard
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No, sorry but I just cannot justify trashing statistics window with this additional option given that there was a single request in 8 years to add this, and conversation from bits to bytes being so simple. But the main reason is that I don't want to turn my product into CommVault or alike in terms of the UI mess ;)