Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
slidek9
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Leon

Just want to make sure my setup is ok

Post by slidek9 »

Hiya,

I wonder if someone with some more experience than me can cast thier knowledgeable eyes over this and let me know if it is correct (or not):
(ESX4 all the way though)

Pre-population stage
We are backing up misc servers (server1) to Veeam1 using virtual app. mode
We are using Veeam2 to do replications of other large servers (server2) as a pull using Veeam2 using virtual app. mode
We are using Veeam2 to replicate Veeam1 to DR storage (which will go off site after pre-population) virtual applicance mode

Migration Stage
We are moving Veeam2 and Server2/replicated Veeam1 to our DR site (the storage is going with it) - using virtual appliance mode

Live Stage
Veeam1 will continue to be replicated across a 37mbit link to DR site using Veeam2 - using virtual app. mode
Large servers (6TB) will continue to be replicated accross the WAN using a pull from Veeam2 - using virtual app. mode

The question is about network replication mode; even though all servers local and remote are part of the Virtual Centre site; should I be using network replication mode and the ESX agent for some form of compression; or should I use virtual appliance mode? I want to be able to harness CBT during replication (as that's the point). Thanks for reading.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Just want to make sure my setup is ok

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Leon,

Provided that you're using full blown ESX hosts, I would recommend to specify service console credentials in any way, so Veeam backup server could install small agents to handle compression/dedupe without stressing your network connection. As a result, you should see better processing rates for your replication jobs.

As far as job mode is concerned, I would definitely stick to using Virtual Appliance mode with 4 vCPU granted to backup server located on the source site. However as soon as you move your backup server to DR site, I would switch to vStorage API - network mode, in this case you will continue replicating changed blocks only.

Hope this helps!
slidek9
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Leon

Re: Just want to make sure my setup is ok

Post by slidek9 »

Perfect - thanks Vit :)