Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kristof
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lukas Kristof

Veeam Proxy server application for Synology storages

Post by kristof »

Hello Veeam team,

Today many users use Synology storages with OS DSM. In this management is available Packages center where si more applications for instalation to this storage.

To avoid having to create separate virual proxy server with an operating system, you'd have to create an application that will be available in the center of packages for Synology repository where it will be able to install and configure, of course (for example, mapped to the same storage repository).

Did you make a (possibly in cooperation with a team of Synology) such an application?

Thank You,

Lukas Kristof
robin.frick
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Robin Frick

Re: Veeam Proxy server application for Synology storages

Post by robin.frick » 1 person likes this post

Hi kristof,

I'm not from Veeam, but I don't think it makes much sense to have a synology NAS to be a Proxy Server, their cpu/ram couldn't handle alot.

You can setup the NAS as a Repository with a Linux Agent, or CIFS, etc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Robin is spot on, those devices are not capable of performing the proxy role.
digo
Lurker
Full Name: Digo Garcia

Post by digo »

The Synology DS716+II has a Celeron N3160 processor (64-bit Quad-Core 1.6GHz, burst up to 2.24GHz) and 2GB of RAM (DDR3).
So out of the box this model is capable of performing the proxy role. RAM is upgradable to 8GB. (single module, CT102464BF160B)

In my very small biz setup (<10users), I have a local DS716+II as a Veeam backup repository. I'm using NFS since Synology has a VAAI plugin for ESXi. Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 installed on a windows VM, backup repository is on a drive letter mounted on that NFS datastore. I'm happy with this solution so far (Backup Essentials).

Where I need the proxy (aka data mover) is on the off-site Synology box. It's just an off-site repository to satisfy the 3-2-1 rule, as we do not have a remote office.
I'd like to perform backup copy jobs over a somewhat slow WAN link (50/10Mbps). I'm told the proxy at the off-site box would help. I also hear there's a new Veeam Linux agent that has been released (not sure whether that can be installed on the Synology box).
All in all, my daily incremental backups add up to at most 7GB (4 VMs), and the full backups add up to 289GB. I see no problem moving 7GB nightly over this connection, but a full backup would take days.

The SMB market is saturated with businesses that have gone to virtualized environments and need a simple backup solution, but aren't willing to go the route of monthly fees for cloud backup.

Am I alone here?
bambroso
Lurker
Full Name: Bob Ambroso

Post by bambroso »

No, digo, you are not alone. I am looking for exactly what you describe. Wondering if you managed to find a solution? We are new to Veeam and also have a offsite location witha 1gb link to also satisfy the 321 rule.
ortoscale
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matjaž Antloga

Post by ortoscale »

foggy wrote: May 04, 2016 3:37 pm Robin is spot on, those devices are not capable of performing the proxy role.
Hi,

is anything changed regarding this. We could install linux proxy on the NAS?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Matjaž, we've added the ability to assign proxy role to a virtual Linux server, but NAS is still not supported.
sysinfma
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by sysinfma »

What about running linux server with the veeam proxy role as a VM on the Synology?