Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
parrguillaume
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Guillaume

Feature request // Allocate VM between Hosts

Post by parrguillaume »

Hi

we did not have DRS so our VM are not automatically balanced between our ESX, so i searched in veeam One a report to help me to place the vm on hosts based on CPU/memory/network configuration and historical usage

I've open a case and they ask me to open a topic to see how to implement this feature in a future release

thanks for your help
regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature request // Allocate VM between Hosts

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Guillaume,

Yes, that's correct. We discuss feature requests on Veeam Community forums, thanks for joining.

As regards your FR, would you like to automate the process of VM migration like it is done DRS or you would like to have reports that would help you in understanding what VMs should be relocated and what hosts are overloaded?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Guillaume,
You can check existing Capacity Planning reports such as How Many More VMs Can be Provisioned and Capacity planning. Is it what you are looking for?
Thanks!
parrguillaume
Novice

Post by parrguillaume »

Hi

Ive check to existing reports but they did not do what i want ... there is no report to help us to organize VM on ESX (regarding actual configuration of each VM and historical utilisation in CPU, memory, network ...to be more intelligent and efficient)

that's DRS do but it cost so we did not have the licence .. so i 'm asking Veeam One to do it :)

regards
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

If you want to check how Host resources are utilized, I would recommend host performance report. So you will know if the host is over-utilized and you need to move some VMs to another hosts. If so, you can check How Many More VMs Can be Provisioned report to find a proper hosts where to move those VMs.
You can also check VMware Optimization reports to evaluate the efficiency of resource usage and to optimize VM resource provisioning.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nikita is correct, Veeam ONE does provide predefined report packs that would show current utilization of the hosts, will tell you how many VMs can be added to the specified cluster/host and will give you recommendations on resource usage optimization for VMs. As to your request of having DRS system built-in to Veeam ONE, then we will put it in our feature tracking system.
parrguillaume
Novice

Post by parrguillaume »

hi

thanks

Something more dynmaic yes will be better

thanks
regards
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Note that first of all Veeam ONE is a monitoring, reporting, and capacity planning tool. While DRS is a management feature.
However every feedback is useful and we have some management features in our roadmap as well.

If you have more needs/ideas, please share!
parrguillaume
Novice

Post by parrguillaume »

i understand what you said but of course i don't want DRS in Veeam :) but a report can tell for better allocation and performance ,VM1 have to be one that node, VM2 on another Node ... regarding each configuration and usage .

regards
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

It pretty much can be done in a way described above, but we will think about making a special report for that purposes.
Let`s see if there is more people in need of it.
parrguillaume
Novice

Post by parrguillaume »

on existing report it take a lot of time if we have a lot of VM since we have to analyse the impact of each VM i nCPU/memory
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You don`t need to check all VMs. Just generate report host performance report to see which hosts are tight in terms of Memory/CPU/etc. and how much performance you need to move out of them, then check Top VMs on those hosts in Veeam One Monitor and move VMs to the least utilized hosts.
But again, I do agree the particular report would be helpful.
mrpopgun
Novice

[MERGED] DRS like query?

Post by mrpopgun »

We run Essentials Plus so we do not have DRS.

Is there a report that will show us best allocation of vm's across our 3 hosts? I can use that to manually vmotion the workloads accordingly.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
There is no special reports for DRS suggestion, however you can use existing reports in a way described above to get comprehensive information about vns hosts performance and make a fair decision.
Let me know if any help is needed.
Thanks!
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

Frankly speaking, VeeamOne is the monitoring tool, not a management one(not that it will not get these functions some day :) ).
The historical usage that can be used by VeeamOne is the average at best, where the replacement for DRS-like capability would require almost real-time calculations on the current state of hosts in the cluster to identify which particular one within a given time-frame has better resources assignment to handle the particular VM.
I can see VeeamOne used for this purpose to determine if a particular VM has issues after it's is placed onto any particular host, after the data is collected for a period of time, but planning of the placement is not going to be accurate: VeeamOne would have no historical data for the new VM to rely on, how its resources are utilized and how it affects the other VMs on the hosts and how all of this changes depending on the activity on the VMs, which DRS does every 5 min by default.
Host utilization report is probably the best shot for the purposes described, yet again - it's a planning tool, which will not reflect the actual affect the VM will have on the host in 5, 20 or 60 min. If those are unknown, the same report will either need to be re-run again, to do the estimates with the data at hand on the actual usage, where the same is achieved when looking at resources usage on Hosts in vCenter.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mrpopgun, it is indeed a good feature request, as our own IT department has also asked about this capability.
Eugene wrote:The historical usage that can be used by VeeamOne is the average at best, where the replacement for DRS-like capability would require almost real-time calculations on the current state of hosts in the cluster to identify which particular one within a given time-frame has better resources assignment to handle the particular VM.
Hi Eugene , Veeam ONE stores 5 minute data samples for the past 2 weeks, so it should be enough to make these analysis, but I see your point as well.
Eugene wrote:Host utilization report is probably the best shot for the purposes described, yet again - it's a planning tool, which will not reflect the actual affect the VM will have on the host in 5, 20 or 60 min. If those are unknown, the same report will either need to be re-run again, to do the estimates with the data at hand on the actual usage, where the same is achieved when looking at resources usage on Hosts in vCenter.
I think that once we have this report, any Veeam ONE user can run it prior to provisioning new VMs or just use short time frame (2 weeks) to get any recommendations.