Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Sllettj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Sillett

Problems installing Managment Pack

Post by Sllettj »

Dear all

I have been having some problems when importing a Veeam Nworks management pack 5.5 for VMware into Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 SP1. After importing the management pack I get the error message at the bottom of this post. Veeam have assured me that there no issue with their management pack. I have removed all management packs from Microsoft operations manager and still get the error message on import, so to try and identify the issue I installed a fresh copy of operations manager in a lab environment upgraded to service Pack 1 and the latest updates (.100) .The Veeam management pack installed perfectly with no problems. I then compared the two incidences of Microsoft operations manager databases looking at the management pack table. I confirmed that exactly the same management packs were installed on both operations manager databases with the same GUID. Therefore my only conclusion has to be that there is a corruption within our database somewhere which specifically causes issues with that the Veeam management pack. My question is there any tools to check the integrity of the operations manager database or any additional logging that can be switched on so that I can give information back to Veeam to see if they can identify the issue. The only other alternative is to reinstall operations manager from scratch which is something that I would strongly like to avoid. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Just wondered if any else had seen this issue and got to the bottom of it?

The error only starts when I switch to the monitoring tab in the consolen

ote: The following information was gathered when the operation was attempted. The information may appear cryptic but provides context for the error. The application will continue to run.

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnknownServiceException: The service threw an unknown exception. See inner exception for details. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: The given key was not present in the dictionary. (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.QueryDefinitionCache.RetrieveManagedTypeViews(Dictionary`2 nameGeneratedQueryDefinition, ResultSet managedTypeResultSet, Dictionary`2 tableToResults)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.QueryDefinitionCache.CreateGeneratedQueries(ResultSet managedTypeResultSet, ResultSet relationshipTypeResultSet, ResultSet managedTypeTableResultSet)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.TypeSpaceCache.GetGeneratedQueryDefinition(String queryDefinitionName)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.QueryDefinitionCache.GetQueryDefinition(String queryDefinitionName)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.DatabaseC...).
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.SdkDataAbstractionLayer.HandleIndigoExceptions(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.ConnectorFrameworkOperations.HandleConnectorIndigoExceptions(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.ConnectorFrameworkOperations.GetConnectorsByCriteria(String criteria, String languageCodes)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConnectorFramework.ConnectorFrameworkAdministration.GetMonitoringConnectorsInternal(String criteria)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConnectorFramework.ConnectorFrameworkAdministration.GetMonitoringConnectors()
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.UI.AlertView.OnCacheUpdated(CacheUpdatedEventArgs`1 e)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.CachedView`2.<>c__DisplayClass2.<QueryCache_UpdateEvent>b__0(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: The given key was not present in the dictionary. (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.QueryDefinitionCache.RetrieveManagedTypeViews(Dictionary`2 nameGeneratedQueryDefinition, ResultSet managedTypeResultSet, Dictionary`2 tableToResults)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.QueryDefinitionCache.CreateGeneratedQueries(ResultSet managedTypeResultSet, ResultSet relationshipTypeResultSet, ResultSet managedTypeTableResultSet)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.TypeSpaceCache.GetGeneratedQueryDefinition(String queryDefinitionName)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.QueryDefinitionCache.GetQueryDefinition(String queryDefinitionName)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.DataAccess.DatabaseC...).
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Problems installing Managment Pack

Post by Alec King »

Hi James,

I have not seen this problem for some time - we had a couple of instances early last year. We never got a definite answer, but there did seem to be some link with the Microsoft VMM (Virtual Machine Manager) MPs. If the older VMM Mps were imported, there seemed to be some conflict with our nworks MP. We had one case where removing the VMM MPs allowed nworks to import OK.
Do you have any VMM MPs imported?

Also we have not seen this issue since rollout of SCOM R2 to most of our customers. I see you are still on SCOM SP1, do you have a plan to move to R2? There are a lot of stability and bug fixes in R2.

Can I confirm from your post - you have deleted ALL other MPs from your main SCOM environment, but you still receive this error when importing nworks MP?
That really would point to some lingering corruption in your database....have you engaged Microsoft support on this issue?

Cheers,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Sllettj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Sillett

Post by Sllettj »

Result
I am pleased to say that I have been able to resolve this problem.
After three months of trying I have now successfully installed the management pack and thought I would share the results with you.
From first installing the management pack and having the console crash as soon as it was opened I had been restoring the database from a backup that I had taken before installing the management pack and carrying out experiments. This way I could make the database usable again. However the last time I installed management pack and it caused the console to crash, I removed the management pack by running the uninstall management pack stored procedure from within the database and passing the guid as a parameter. This successfully removed management pack, and I did not have to restore the database. To my surprise when I reinstalled management pack again without making any changes (so that I could get a screenshot of the error messages) I was somewhat amazed to find that the console no longer crashed. Clearly by running the uninstall store procedure removed from the database not only the management pack but corrected whatever the problem within the database that was causing the installation to fail. I'm happy to say that the Veeam management pack is now working perfectly and seem very good results. I share these findings in case anyone else has these problems.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi James,

That's great that you have nworks up and running - glad you are pleased with the MP :D

And many thanks for sharing the solution! We had not made that connection of using the uninstall MP procedure, then trying the import MP again. I will get our Support to add that to their knowledge base :idea:

Enjoy the nworks MP, and thanks again!

Regards,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software