Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

How often do YOU Replicate and Backup in YOUR environment?

Post by Blue407 »

Hi All

I've built a new Veeam Backup Server to host backups to disk and also hyper-v replicas.
Will be backing up our primary Hyper-V Host which has 5 File Servers and 4 Application VM's running on it (at the moment)
Host has local storage and dedicated 10Gb network to the Backup server.

I'm interested to know how often all of you are running the Replication tasks for the VM's, plus how many restore points are you keeping?

Same questions for Backups to Disk, how often are you running the Backup tasks for the VM's, plus how many restore points are you keeping?

I'm looking for inspiration and very interested to see how its working for you :)
I am currently at the testing phase, so can easily make changes and see what happens.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How often do YOU Replicate and Backup in YOUR environmen

Post by foggy »

Paul, while you can definitely wait for the answers from other users and see how others go about the frequency of backup/replication and number of restore points, I think nobody can answer these questions better then you, as answers depend solely on RTO/RPO accepted/required in your company. I.e. what is the acceptable period of data loss and how far in the past you need to be able to restore to.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, there will be no mistake in saying that daily backups for most VMs is the most popular choice "on average". However, this is as useful as saying that "the average temperature of patients in the hospital is 36.6".

Most companies have different RPOs for different workloads. Development SQL VMs may be backed up only once a week, but production SQL VMs may require 5 min RPO. It's all driven by business requirements - how much recent data is it acceptable for your business to lose from a particular VM in case of a disaster.
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Post by Blue407 »

I was kind of looking at the other extreme, how many are doing hourly or even 15min backups or replication.

I was hoping that I may get some feedback from Users who do very frequent backups during the working day, to see how well it worked for them and if there are any issues doing it very frequently?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Yeah, we also have lots of users running both backup and replication jobs very frequently and even continuously.
In general it takes computing resources, disk space, some people have difficulties with job scheduling especially if you want to use backup+backup copy job combination.
I would search the existing forum topics for desired information while waiting for others to share their feedback.
Thanks!