Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SebSpi
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sebastian S

Best Practice for existing backup job Exchange 2013

Post by SebSpi »

Hello,

I've searched in the Forum for an already existing Topic about best practices for Exchange 2013 by searching for best practices but I really couldn't find anything useful that's why I am asking around here.

Our existing Job for our Exchange Server includes following Options so far:
- Backup Proxy: automatic selection
- Backup repository: harddisk
- 7 Restore Points to Keep on disk
- No guest processing enabled
- Schedule: this Job runs four times a week on mondays, tuesdays, wednesdays and thursdays

Storage advanced Options:
- No synthetic backups
- Data reduction all three Options enabled
- Compression Level is optimal

If you Need any more Details, please let me know!

An additional backup Job to tape doesn't exist so far, but based on the 3-2-1-0 rule there should be a tape Job as well, so this is the first Thing I will do.
Is there anything else that I should update in our current Settings? The Job works fine without any failures, but there might be some Settings that we have missed for better Performances, so any help or links to documentations are more than welcome.

Thanks
Sebastian
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Re: Best Practice for existing backup job Exchange 2013

Post by Pat490 »

take a look on the whitepapers on support website 8)

https://www.veeam.com/whitepapers.html? ... guage[]=en
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sebastian, you'd definitely want to enable application-aware image processing to ensure consistent Exchange backups and ability for item-level restores.

As for the job performance, then look at your bottleneck starts to see what part of the processing chain needs improvement.
SebSpi
Influencer

Post by SebSpi »

Thanks to both of you. I found a Whitepaper for Exchange 2013 which seems to fit a best practice.
I enabled the Option application-aware Image too.

As for the bottleneck there we have following stats:
Load: Source 82% > Proxy 73% > Network 25% > Target 39%
Looks like Source and Proxy could be better. I will read through the Whitepaper, maybe I can find an answer on how to fix this, if not I write back to you guys.

Thanks again.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What transport mode is being used by this job?
SebSpi
Influencer

Post by SebSpi »

Well, after reading through different Best practice Whitepapers and Blogs, it seems to me, that there is no tape Job necessary. No one has written anything about this Option. What do you guys suggest? And how often should we write the backup on tape if it really is necessary? The schedule of this backup Job is from monday until thursday daily. This means friday until sunday is excluded.
We still use Windows 2008 Server with Hyper-V, which should be switched to 2012 by now.

@Alexander
I've read through the FAQ, but I can't tell you which Transport mode we are using. I will give you a Feedback after I have spoken with our IT Manager.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

SebSpi wrote:And how often should we write the backup on tape if it really is necessary?
Depends on what kind of data loss you can tolerate if the need to restore from tape arises.
SebSpi
Influencer

Post by SebSpi »

Ok thank you. I have spoken with my colleagues, they weren't too sure them selves. So I decided to do a weekly tape backup job. After all we have one full backup and n incremental backups which Needs to be stored on tape and I don't want to use up our resources on tape with the same files over and over again.

Which leads me to my next question: We have other backup Jobs where the Option "create synthetic full backups periodically" is enabled, but in our backup Job for Exchange it is disabled. Has this something to do with the best practices? Earlier I said we Keep 7 incremental restore Points, but because this Option is disabled we already have 12 incremental restore Points. If this is not a part of the best practices then I will enable this Option.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This does not come down to the number of restore points actually. Synthetic full is just an alternative to an active full, while the number of restore points you have on disk on the particular day is defined by the backup method.
SebSpi
Influencer

Post by SebSpi »

Hello once again,

is there a Whitepaper which explains the best practices for Exchange 2013 which you can use within Veeam Backup & Replication? The best practices I have read so far are not really about the Options within Veeams Software, which I really want to know.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's a general best practices doc as well as an existing topic related specifically to Exchange (old but gold).