Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
veechee
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup location getting low on free disk space / Emails

Post by veechee »

LOW DISK SPACE ERROR/BUG:
I just upgraded to version VEB 1.5.0.306 and that seems to have coincided with an annoying error:
I am using 4 TB external disks, so 3.6 TB is usable. After each incremental backup since the upgrade, the job finishes with a Warning: "Backup location [G:\VeeamBackup\] is getting low on free disk space (322.5 GB free of 3.6 TB)." Considering my incremental can be as small as 3 GB, and I have over 300 GB free, how am I low on disk space?! That is 100 more days of backups I can fit yet and I don't keep that many days worth!

EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS:
Previously, I was using a scheduled task to send email alerts upon both successful and failed backups, with the email depending on which was the case (based on VEB exit codes). I was looking forward to the email notifications being built into the program, so I wouldn't have to manage the scheduled task (plus this way isn't supported on newer Windows Server versions). Some thoughts:

Good:
- HTML email formatted in the same style as Veeam B&R virtual backups.
- Ability to customize subject line.

Bad:
- Cannot adjust sending email address (receiving email address becomes the sender).
- Not possible to send to more than one email address at the same time.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup location getting low on free disk space / Emails

Post by Dima P. »

Hi veechee,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
that seems to have coincided with an annoying error
You can tune the described regkey to adjust free space threshold.
Cannot adjust sending email address
Can you elaborate why you need separate from and to addresses?
Not possible to send to more than one email address at the same time
You can setup a distribution list or a forwarding rule to achieve this goal.
veechee
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by veechee »

Thanks for the quick reply. I have created and set that regkey now. I set it to 3 percent.

Re: Email addresses
I send to a distribution list now for sysadmin monitoring events, however, I also include a couple other people that don't need to get all sysadmin events, but need to see backup events (e.g., on-site desktop support guy responsible for swapping disks but not for managing server or backups).

For the sending address, it is personal preference I guess. I have always made up an address for each service sending to me, e.g., veeam.severname@domain.com. Almost every other email report I get allows me to set the sending address separate from the to address, and put multiple to addresses: firewalls, UPSes, printers, MS FSRM, Veeam B&R, etc. Also, many allow me to even craft the sending name in the field (e.g., Veeam on Servername <veeam.servername@domain.com>)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks veechee!

By the way, granular email settings you mentioned are available if you are using Veeam B&R repository as a backup destination, so if you ever decide to test our flagship solution – check Global Email Notifications.