Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

Feature Request: Disable when on wireless

Post by Hariseldon1 »

I use VEB to backup my laptop to network NAS.

I have to manually prevent VEB from running when on wireless because of performance hit.
(Wireless much slower than wired)

It would be helpful if the VEB backup job configuration had ability to select which network adapters to use.

This would mean if NAS destination is reachable on an unauthorized NIC, VEB would try and abort until one of the approved NICs had connectivity to the NAS destination.

(Even if --- like with my situation -- the NAS destination is reachable over wireless)

What do you think?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Disable when on wireless

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hari,

What type of schedule do you use? From the top of my head, you can add WiFi to metered connection and disable backup over metered connections in VEB settings.
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

If I am correct, Windows Metered Internet Connection only applies to Win8.1 and higher.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/wind ... -questions

What about Windows 7?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

True, this workaround won’t work for Win7 machine.
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

I will keep my fingers crossed if/when there is interest in this VEB centric solution that does not rely upon MS network feature in certain versions of Windows.

(mean while on the dark side of the moon...)

I am working out a kludge wedge netsh script to attempt to detect the state-of-the-connectivity available to Windows... and *hopefully* appropriately detect wireless off (or wrong subnet) and then not execute schedule backup task.

Unfortunately this kind of script doesn't seem to run well under the "System" authority, and the in place security measures do not easily accommodate end user login as batch file.

hrmm :-\

thank you Dima!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hari,

Have you thought about upgrading the OS to get the benefits of the said metered connection feature? Just asking :D
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Hi Dima!

I have thought about this. I Pine for this :-) You are **spot** on!

Unfortunately:
1) either my hands are tied
2) or, I am running VEB on Server 2008 R2 [i.e. based on Win7]

If anyone is curious, I buried my netsh script idea. I need VEB to keep my bacon safe, and I need some installations to be mobile. The best solution for mobile is disable schedule (within VEB) and rely entirely on "Task Scheduler" command line task. Then I keep Task Scheduler open (minimized) and manually disable scheduled task when I go on WiFi.... and hopefully I remember to re-enable when I reconnect to wired.

I do not love this manual process. But I cannot torture either my mobile device or our wireless network trying to backup if I am wireless at the same time the backup is scheduled to run.

It is manageable for this user.... your results will vary depending upon your end user :-)
garybelanger
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Belanger

[MERGED] Disable Veeam on WIFI - Feature Request

Post by garybelanger »

Hi,

I understand that there is an option to disable backups on Metered Connections, but if I were to make our Company Wifi a metered connection, then this would disable other stuff including Syncing of offline files which we do not want to do. Besides the fact that a Company Wifi setting is pushed through Group Policies and doesn't allow for us to set it as a Metered Connection anyways.

So we would like a Feature Request to allow us to disable Veeam Endpoint when the laptop is over Wifi altogether, or give us an option to select Wifi SSID's that Veeam Endpoint is not to use when doing backups.

Thanks.