Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gpearson
Novice
Liked: never

Appliance Mode extremely slow (only 2 VMs)

Post by gpearson »

We have a single-host cluster at one of our sites that has an extremely slow backup time compared to our others that also use Veeam (albeit with better storage hardware). There are only 3 VMs running on thishost: DC/File Server, Print server, Veeam Backup server. The print server has a single 40gb disk, and the DC has a 40gb OS disk and 150gb file disk. Just backing up these two VMs alone takes almost 2 hours.

These two steps on the DC seem to be most of the time, does anyone know what Veeam is actually doing here or what could be causing it to take so long?

It also seems to sit at 99% processing for 15+ minutes after completing all actions on the DC.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Appliance Mode extremely slow (only 2 VMs)

Post by foggy »

Logs should tell what is happening at that moment, so I recommend contacting support for review. Have you tried to backup these VMs in network mode?
gpearson
Novice

Post by gpearson »

That job was originally created in Network mode before I switched it to Appliance. I went ahead and just deleted the backup file and had it create a new full backup. The first run took about 2 hours again, but the incremental last night took 5 minutes total!

Here are those same disks:

Maybe it was having trouble with the CBT comparison against a backup chain not originally created with hot-add? Anyway it's working like I expected now.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, CBT has nothing to do with it, it is actually stuck at hotadd operation. If you see this behavior again, feel free to involve support.
gpearson
Novice

Post by gpearson »

Good to know, I'll keep an eye on it and reach out to support if it returns. Thanks!
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

You may be able to check the tasks at vSphere level related to "Reconfigure Virtual machine" as it goes to HotAdd VM's disks to Proxy for processing. The conflicting tasks like vMotion/Snapshot operations would put the "Hot Add" taks sinto the queue, causing the wait time.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert