Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

SureBackup Networking and Accessing from Production

Post by cffit »

I'm trying to get my SureBackup lab setup so that clients in production can access the VMs in it. I have been able to do this with setting routes on the clients as long as they are on the same subnet of the VEEAM proxy IP, but if the clients are on a different subnet, it doesn't work. On this other subnet I can ping the VEEAM proxy IP, but when I set my static route and point to that IP as the gateway, it seems as though my client still tries to use the default route. In this case, does the physical layer 3 switch that separates the subnets need to have a static route for the masquerade subnet within SureBackup? If this is confusing, I can type up details and an example.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Re: SureBackup Networking and Accessing from Production

Post by Zew »

Sounds like you need to learn your network infrastructure more and build proper routes in the proper routers between subnets. Personally I had to configure in my users router a route for my test enviro subnet pointing to the direct IP of the Veeam Proxy. Hope this helps.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

I do understand our networking here and I understand how to build routes on our network.

The documentation that VEEAM has for this shows the client PC in one subnet with a static route directing the masquerade subnet to the proxy IP in a different subnet, and that's what I'm doing, but it doesn't work. If you need routes on your routers or L3 switches then you really shouldn't need a static route on the client PC.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

I had that happen to me to, you have to make sure your checking off the checkbox that says []Allow proxy appliance to act as internet proxy for virtual machines in this lab.

This setting can be found under "Backup Infrastructure -> SureBackup -> Virtual Labs -> Properties of configured lab in question -> Proxy"

Besides these two things there should be nothing else required to get this to work. (I personally was using a firewall that had virtual routers, so I also had to configure security rules) but again that all comes down to knowing your network.