Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Wiesen

v5 no longer a free upgrade?

Post by awiesen »

Hi,

In the Q&A for Backup & Replication v5, there's this question and answer:

Q: Is v5 a free upgrade from v4?
A: Yes, customers with active maintenance agreements in effect will receive the upgrade to v5 Standard Edition. In addition, customers with maintenance agreements in effect as of June 18, 2010 will also be eligible for a free upgrade to v5 Enterprise Edition. Please contact your Veeam sales representative for more information about the current promotion that allows for free upgrade to the Enteprise Edition.

However, I've been getting emails requesting I renew my support contract, and when I asked about it, they said renewing my support contract (which expires in a couple of weeks) would be required in order to upgrade to Backup & Replication v5 for free. Did I read the answer to that question incorrectly? If there has been a change in the upgrade policy I'd appreciate having the Q&A updated to reflect that.

The email I received from Veeam this morning about this is here:

Hi Alex,
You have to be current on support to get a free upgrade.
We don’t have the specific date , probably the end of October.
Thanks,
Biljana

Thanks,

- Alex
awiesen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Wiesen

Re: v5 no longer a free upgrade?

Post by awiesen »

After re-reading this more closely, I think I realized the answer:

(1) You still need an active support contract whenever v5 comes out.
(2) If you had an active support contract in June of 2010, you can upgrade to the "enterprise" edition of v5 for free. Otherwise you get an upgrade to the "standard" edition for free.

Is that right?

- Alex
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: v5 no longer a free upgrade?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct, to be eligible for a free upgrade to any v5 edition, you must be on an active maintenance plan when v5 becomes generally available.