Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Stampede
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Peter Cha

IP Address Category in Workspace

Post by Stampede »

I was looking to add VM IP Addresses as a category in the workspace area. I feel like this is an easy add, but any kind of search I do is flooded with other results.
I'm exporting excel files out of workspace to keep track of my vSphere environment. Is there any easy way to automate the downloading/exporting of this document? It would be nice to have it automatically export a new file each week to keep it updated and fresh automatically.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: IP Address Category in Workspace

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Peter,
Stampede wrote:I was looking to add VM IP Addresses as a category in the workspace area. I feel like this is an easy add, but any kind of search I do is flooded with other results.
Do you mean Business View categories?
Stampede wrote:I'm exporting excel files out of workspace to keep track of my vSphere environment. Is there any easy way to automate the downloading/exporting of this document? It would be nice to have it automatically export a new file each week to keep it updated and fresh automatically.
You can schedule Veeam ONE reports and set desired format email address where to deliver them.
Is that what you were looking for?
Thanks!
Stampede
Influencer

Post by Stampede »

Hi!,

Sorry, I asked a lot of questions but didn't provide enough detail! :?

The way I prefer to use Veeam One is through the Business View web interface (via port 1340). The export I mentioned was under the Workspace tab, where it gives you the option to export to excel. I end up exporting like once a week to share data with co-workers and observe changes to our vSphere environment. I have a few custom fields added and am nearly at the "perfect" workspace view, I am looking to add IP Address as a category.
I remember when I first setup Veeam One there were a few fields that had custom scripts, I feel like this is probably what I will need to do to get IP addresses displayed for each VM. I just forgot how to get to that point.

Thanks! I will have to check out the report email functionality, that would be great to get that excel export emailed to me directly.

Thanks!
Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stampede wrote:Thanks! I will have to check out the report email functionality, that would be great to get that excel export emailed to me directly.
While BV doesn't have a way to automatically send this report or include the IP address of the VM, you can build a similar report via this custom template > Custom Infrastructure. Just select VM as a subsystem and pick up the properties you would like to report on.
Stampede
Influencer

Post by Stampede »

Thanks Vitaliy. I spent some time looking at this, the emailed report isn't critical but I definitely need to get the IP addresses added as a group. Making the group was an easy add, and I followed the link you provided. I can't seem to figure out what a viable grouping expression would be. I see that there is a Network option but by default that just adds the name of the VLan, no sign of IP. My powerCLI scripts don't really fly here either.

I looked at the examples available in the Veeam manual on how to write grouping expressions but I definitely need some guidance. Are there any other resources that go into more detail as to what keywords are available and give more examples of working expressions?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Peter, Business View does not retrieve IP addresses, this is property can only be retrieved via our reporting engine. Did you try to create a report from the link I've provided above?
Stampede
Influencer

Post by Stampede »

Ok just wanted to confirm that BV had no way of retrieving IP Addresses. Yea, I ran the report following the information provided by the link. And while it's close it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Having everything in a simple spreadsheet makes it easy to share and parse through, while it maybe possible I did not see a spreadsheet output in the Custom Infrastructure reports.

It's funny via PowerCLI I get like one half of the report I need, and Veeam One gives me the other half (more like 3/4s). I just need to get it all on one spreadsheet. :roll: :D

Thanks for your help,
Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stampede wrote:Ok just wanted to confirm that BV had no way of retrieving IP Addresses.
Yes, that's correct, as it it not a reporting tool. IP address cannot be used as a source for a BV group. One of the reasons is that you might have multiple IP addresses, but VM can only belong to a single group within the same category.