Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
segato
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Segato

Replicate VM when you dont have access to the source hypervi

Post by segato »

Hi,
I have researched a lot and called Veeam Support.
I have this scneario
Client have his VM's in a cloud provider and he wants to move his VM's to another cloud provider.
Off course in this scenario we dont have acccess to the source hyper-v / vsphere, we only have admin credentials to the VMs themselves.
So how can we use veeam to replicate this VM's to the new hypervisor?
I would request Veam to add a feature that we can install a agent on the source vms and syncronize the blocks with the new hypervisor, would that be possible in the future?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Replicate VM when you dont have access to the source hyp

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Peter,
Does the client want to move all existing restore points to the new provider as well?
My point is since the client needs to create a new replication job, why not to just run the job and start working with the new provider?
Thanks!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

If you have a VBR instance running at the new cloud provider you could use Veeam Endpoint Backup and make a server backup and then move it into the Veeam Backup Repository. Afterwards you can export the disks to VHD, VHD(X) or VMDK file and create a new VM.

If this is not possible you will have to ask the cloud provider for an export via Hyper-V tools.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
segato
Novice

Post by segato »

Shestakov wrote:Hi Peter,
Does the client want to move all existing restore points to the new provider as well?
My point is since the client needs to create a new replication job, why not to just run the job and start working with the new provider?
Thanks!
I dont have access no nothing at the current provider othar than the VM itself even if current provider uses veeam we dont have access, we need something that can syncroninze the VM via guest level so we can schedule a cutover when sync is in sync.
segato
Novice

Post by segato »

vmniels wrote:If you have a VBR instance running at the new cloud provider you could use Veeam Endpoint Backup and make a server backup and then move it into the Veeam Backup Repository. Afterwards you can export the disks to VHD, VHD(X) or VMDK file and create a new VM.

If this is not possible you will have to ask the cloud provider for an export via Hyper-V tools.
My scenario export vms from current provider generates downtime / delta in between the export and import takes place, we need to have sync happening live and cutover at a time we schedule, thanks for your repply.