Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Backups Failing With "There is not enough space on the disk"

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Veeam Support - Case # 01779871

I'm getting this error but the backup hard drive is an empty 1TB USB drive. I have successfully written a test file to it, modified it, and deleted it, so as far as I can tell it isn't an issue with the USB drive.
27/04/2016 5:04:40 AM :: Error: Unable to get previous point
27/04/2016 10:40:22 AM :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data to the file [E:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job PPMU\Backup Job PPMU2016-04-27T050834.vbk]. Failed to download disk.
27/04/2016 10:45:36 AM :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data to the file [E:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job PPMU\Backup Job PPMU2016-04-27T104149.vbk]. Failed to download disk.
27/04/2016 10:51:54 AM :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data to the file [E:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job PPMU\Backup Job PPMU2016-04-27T104806.vbk]. Failed to download disk.
Does VEEAM trying writing to the C:\ first? There is currently only 114GB free space, and therefore not enough space to do a full backup?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backups Failing With "There is not enough space on the d

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

I am not sure what is causing this. Can you open the UI of VEB and log a support case so our engineers can see what is wrong? This is free but we don't provide an SLA, we do will get back to you though :-)

Please share the case ID afterwards here and if a solution is found after that also for other people to find

Thanks

Mike
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Hi, the ID was the first line in my original post:

Veeam Support - Case # 01779871

It appears to be working correctly now. Konstantin said in the support ticket that it was most likely an issue with the file allocation table and after a re-format to NTFS it appears to be working well. There is also another possibility, we have a program called Drive Fixer that sets all USB drives named "USBBACKUP" to the X: drive (Shadow Protect requires a drive letter rather than a USB drive registration ID like how VEEAM does it). Unfortunately my offsider has accidentally called it "USBBACK" and it received an automatic Windows drive allocation as the E: drive and Drive Fixer has become become confused by this. After a rename of the drive and a reboot of a server (as well as the format of the drive) it appears to all be working well. The third option is that there was a file lock caused by another program such as Shadow Protect because of the drive letter change. As I made too many changes at once I cannot be certain as to what fixed it, but it is fixed so I no longer care :) ​Case closed! :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for update! Can you please tell us what workloads do you protect with VEB and Shadow Protect? And how many endpoints/servers do you have in total?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Vitaliy S. wrote:Thanks for update! Can you please tell us what workloads do you protect with VEB and Shadow Protect? And how many endpoints/servers do you have in total?
I look after a total of just over 500 computers and servers, and an unspecified number of BYOD devices including tablet PCs and smart phones.

We use VEEAM Endpoint Backup (VEB) for home users and the important non-virtual machines such as servers and those critical to business function that can't afford to be down for more than 3 hours (sales, admin, factory, etc). Shadow Protect is also installed on these critical machines and servers as an alternative backup solution. We have had situations where backups haven't completed correctly for several days using either VEEAM or Shadow Protect and the other has saved our bacon.

VEB 1.5 is great, the email warnings have saved me so much time, before 1.5 I had to check every important machine every morning, that alone was a three hour job that has become largely redundant! The Cryptolocker Protection is a really nice idea but it doesn't work very well for our needs, we have trialed it on a few company's systems but unless the machine reboots every day or someone replaces the USB drive every day then it means no backups until one of these two things happen. Unfortunately the end users cannot be trusted to do this. I have thought about running a USB hub reboot script via Task Scheduler but it hasn't really passed the planning stage and may have unintended consequences.

We use VEEAM Backup & Replication for all of the virtual machines and connect to the VEEAM End Points on the local machines. Almost all of our clients with 40+ staff are fully virtualized.

On the servers we use 3 - 10 USB drives and rotate them daily to either an off-site location or a fire-proof safe. Doing this means that in the case of a disaster we have only lost a total of one day's work, which isn't great but better than losing the lot. This also provides a simple form of Cryptolocker protection, we can always go back to yesterday's USB drive to rebuild the system in the worst case scenario.

We also use Crash Plan and backup offsite to a Crash Plan's provided backup location. Our Linux servers all use Crash Plan and for the most part it works well but has a file limit of 8000 files without changes to the system files, which I've had to do because a Wordpress website itself is somewhere in the order of 10-14,000 files alone. I would love to see a Linux version of VEB, *hint* *hint* :)

Different backup programs have different advantages and disadvantages so we use the one best for the environment.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for such a detailed post, this really would be helpful during our internal discussions.
AlexLeadingEdge wrote: I would love to see a Linux version of VEB, *hint* *hint* :)
Yep, that's coming.

Thanks!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Apologies about the late reply, I didn't get an email notification and only saw your post via the "View your posts" section and saw that my post had a reply.
Vitaliy S. wrote:Yep, that's coming.
Excellent news! I use CentOS 6.7 to make cheap web servers for small companies (less than 15 staff) so they can migrate from the likes of GoDaddy and save on the on-going costs. Having a backup solution with a nice GUI like VEEAM Endpoint Backup would be nice so that the companies can look after their own systems without much input from myself. We are currently using CrashPlan for Linux but we would definitely like a second option, and there is a huge hole in the market for a quality backup solution (with GUI) for Linux as most of them were built for Linux Gurus who love to work headless (i.e. no GUI interface).