Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Multiple streams per job to dedupe appliance

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, we have a new Netapp Altavault storage appliance and are trying to get it integrated with Veeam. Im seeing backup jobs tend to hit a ceiling at around 120 MB/s with a bottleneck of the target despite the target being hardly utilized. Can someone tell me if the "Use multiple upload streams per job" global network setting applies to backups jobs to a SMB repository? I can kick multiple jobs off and get around 120Mb/s for each job so am trying to determine what may be capping the transfer rate on a per job basis

A quick summary of my deployment:

1 x Veeam mangement VM
4 x Physical proxies, direct SAN access for data retrieval, 2 x 10Gb LAN each for data to target
Netapp altavault with 2 x 10Gb LAN
SMB / "CIFS" Repositories

Any help any advise appreciated as always!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Multiple streams per job to dedupe appliance

Post by foggy »

This might be a storage ingest rate limit of a single write stream. Per-VM backup chains were added specifically to address this by using multiple write streams to repository within a single job.
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Thanks for the reply I was worried that was the issue as we do not have Veeam enterprise and it seems this new feature isn't available in standard edition which is frustrating. I don't suppose there's a way to license just this feature? We have a large number of sockets in our VMware estate and i'd struggle to justify the cost of upgrading....
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then you can still utilize multiple jobs approach.
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Is there a way to increase the rate limit of a single write stream? Is this limit imposed by Veeam on or the appliance?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I was talking about the appliance limit.
Jack1874
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stuart Little

Post by Jack1874 »

Ok for me to hijack this thread ... ??

We have just upgraded to ver 9 (U2) and we were reviewing some of the settings.

We have an HP StoreOnce intergrated with Veeam.
We use 10 GB uplinks across everything in our environment.

Since ver 9 we have enabled perVM backups.

We have the Use multiple upload streams per job enabled and set to 8

Question is..

Should we have Use multiple upload streams per job enabled.. and is the number ok at 8?
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops »

cookiejc wrote:Hi, we have a new Netapp Altavault storage appliance and are trying to get it integrated with Veeam. Im seeing backup jobs tend to hit a ceiling at around 120 MB/s with a bottleneck of the target despite the target being hardly utilized. Can someone tell me if the "Use multiple upload streams per job" global network setting applies to backups jobs to a SMB repository? I can kick multiple jobs off and get around 120Mb/s for each job so am trying to determine what may be capping the transfer rate on a per job basis

A quick summary of my deployment:

1 x Veeam mangement VM
4 x Physical proxies, direct SAN access for data retrieval, 2 x 10Gb LAN each for data to target
Netapp altavault with 2 x 10Gb LAN
SMB / "CIFS" Repositories

Any help any advise appreciated as always!
You are getting way better speed than me, I'm getting ~ 50MB/s to my Altavault with the bottleneck as "Target". I am seeing the same thing, during data ingest the resource usage on the Altavault is less than 5%.

Now I need to go back and play with my settings to see why mine is so slow...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jack1874 wrote:Should we have Use multiple upload streams per job enabled.. and is the number ok at 8?
This setting actually is not related to the original topic subject, but to data transfer between proxy and repository servers. As it is explained right in the UI dialog, multi-threaded data transfer improves job performance by utilizing high-latency links more optimally. You can review network load during the backup to decide whether to use this setting and play with different values.