Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
isaaktnt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tien Tran

Best practice setup for Veeam

Post by isaaktnt »

I have two ESXi 4.0 host running VMs on local storage. I have a third host HP DL180 G6 also loaded with esix 4.0 with 8 drive split into two 2TB drives array formatted with the ESX vmfs. My plan was to install an ISCSI target VM on the first drive. Move all the vms from the other host to that ISCSI target and run it from there for HA purposes. I also want to install a windows 2008 server vm on the HP to run vcenter and Veeam. From there setup up to backup all the VM on the iscsi target and the vcenter/veaam vm over to the second 2TB drive array on the HP box. Will that work or is there a better faster more efficent way?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Best practice setup for Veeam

Post by Gostev »

I think I would do the same, if I were you... shared storage is a win! I would also recommend setting up Veeam replication jobs from your iSCSI target to local storage on ESX (so that you are covered in case if iSCSI target dies).
isaaktnt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tien Tran

Post by isaaktnt »

So the vcenter/veeam vm would need a ISCSI connection to the ISCSI target to backup those VMs? And so I just create a huge virtual drive for windows server (vcenter/veeam) to store the backups?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you should have iSCSI connection to backup those VMs.

I wouldn't recommend storing backups inside virtual disk, as it will make makes the backup files more difficult to access in case of disaster. Provided you have an iSCSI connection from the backup server to the iSCSI target, then mounting NTFS LUN to Veeam VM through software iSCSI initiator, or as RDM disk might be a better choice.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Just wanted to add that iSCSI connection to the iSCSI target is not required (with virtual backup server, you can always use Virtual Appliance mode, instead of direct SAN access mode). Thanks!