Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jahilton2002
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hilton

Just testing my backups, Can't "see" back ups on NAS.

Post by jahilton2002 »

We use Veeam B&R here for all our VMs and the Great Endpoint Protection to back our few Physical servers.

I was just "testing" a physical server recovery in our test environment. We have VBR saving our vms to a local SAN, and Endpoint backing up our physicals to the same location .... VBR then replicates these backups "offsite" to a NAS device.

I tested a restore from the Endpoint boot disc from the Veeam repository (SAN) and all went well...... i then wanted to restore from the (offsite) NAS device.

I followed the sames steps, but selected "network location" instead of veeam repository. i was able to gain access to the nas share with the correct credentials, but it displayed as if it was empty.

Checking the nas location via a windows based machine, or via the nas gui displays the back ups. But it seems i can't access them via the boot cds gui.

Any pointers?

P.S I did try and book the job via the "support section" of Veeam Endpoint protection GUI. However i get a proxy error due the way the network is setup here and can't send the support request.

Thanks in advance
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Just testing my backups, Can't "see" back ups on NAS.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

What if you copy existing backup files to any other CIFS share and check if you're able "to see" these backup files from the recovery media? If you're able to do this, then there could be some permission issues on the offsite device.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

John,
VBR then replicates these backups "offsite" to a NAS device.
Are you using the backup copy job for Endpoint backups to store it on the said NAS?
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Hi John,
Vitaliy S. wrote:What if you copy existing backup files to any other CIFS share and check if you're able "to see" these backup files from the recovery media? If you're able to do this, then there could be some permission issues on the offsite device.
I can browse the shared nas locations perfectly fine..... i just can't see anything.
Dima P. wrote:John,
VBR then replicates these backups "offsite" to a NAS device.
Are you using the backup copy job for Endpoint backups to store it on the said NAS?
Yes i am, is it a different type of back up should be doing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you're using backup copy jobs to send these backups offsite, please take a look a these topics for the solution > Restore from backup copy job and Rights restriction for Backup Copy job
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

I'm totally confused now :lol:

So if i'm in a disaster recovery scenario, Where i only have my boot CD and access to my offsite backups. How do i access and restore my endpoint backup files?

I'd have to assume i no longer have access to the primary Veeam storage location (and VBR repository).

Thanks for the help so far, greatly appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It should be possible to do the restore with a new backup console after rescanning/importing backup files, recovery media cannot "see" these backup files in the current version. This limitation is going to be addressed in our next update though.
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

How would i do a bare metal recovery from the console?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

John,

The limitation for backup copy jobs was made to protect the end users data, since backup copy does not preserve the owner of the endpoint backup. Otherwise, every single user could restore from such backup what he/she wants.
In order to restore from the backup copy backup you must have a VBR console with the said backup imported to the repository.

To perform a bare metal recovery – choose a VBR as a destination and use VBR admin account to connect to the repository with the imported backup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jahilton2002 wrote:How would i do a bare metal recovery from the console?
It's not possible. You need to install Veeam backup console, import backup files and then target our recovery media to that repository.
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Am i right in thinking that if i boot from a veeam recovery disc, point to a NAS share (not a repository). And use the veeam admin account to access that share.... i should be able to see and restore from the nas location?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That would be the case only for primary backup repository. Backup files re-created by a backup copy job do not contain metadata that would be recognized by a recovery media (the limitation Dima is referring to in the post above).
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Are right ok, so it's a combination of using backup copy, NAS location AND the recovery disc?

When you say; "This limitation is going to be addressed in our next update though". Any ETA on that?

Thanks for your help guys.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, that's correct. Cannot comment on the ETA, but this is in the top priorities feature list for our dev team.
jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 »

Thanks for all your help... would it be best to change away from backup copy in the meantime?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would not recommend doing that, as if you do not copy your backup files to the offsite location, you will not be protected from losing your data by losing the primary backup repository. Furthermore, restoring files or application items from the backup console would still be useful in the DR situation. Having an archive copy offsite should be still beneficial even with the limitation stated above.