Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dmitri-va
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dmitri

FLR 'Download' via Ent. Manager - cant keep file ownership?

Post by dmitri-va »

It seems that when using Backup Enterprise Manager to initiate file level restore and choose 'download', it does not provide you a choice of preserving file permissions and ownership, like the FLR initiated from the backup client does. And, by default, it does not preserve permissions and ownership, at least when I tested it by downloading a folder. Or am I missing something?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: FLR 'Download' via Ent. Manager - cant keep file ownersh

Post by Gostev »

The ACL (Access Control List) does not follow a file around, since it is not a part of the file. ACLs are stored in NTFS MFT (Master File Table) on the actual volume, instead of on the file itself (which is what you are downloading). Thanks!
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

Are you perhaps looking for a more direct 'copy to' option instead of a download, as is available when you start the file restore from the remote console?
dmitri-va
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dmitri

Post by dmitri-va »

Exactly, I could do a 'copy to' and preserve file permissions via the backup client, but I can not do this via BEM's WebUI when I choose 'download'. I wish it could still be done somehow, unless it is a WebUI limitation with no work around it.

We were hoping to be able to delegate certain restore activities to people via the BEM, but without preserving file permissions this feature is useless for our scenario. And with no support in the backup client for user roles with limited access, we cant go that route either.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Web UI can restore files back to original location while preserving the original permissions.