Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
GrandAdmiral
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Benjamin Chennells-Webb

Slow/stalled backup to rotated drives

Post by GrandAdmiral »

Hi

I have a client with 3 systems all using Endpoint Backup. The "workstations" backup to a share on the "server" PC, then about 30 minutes later the server is backed up to a pair of portable drives. The first stage works perfectly but the external drives have been a headache since day 1. I originally thought it could be an outdated SATA driver on the server PC but if anything updating the driver has made it worse. Tonight I wiped the backup files from the current portable drive and recreated the database but the backup stalled on the recovery partition (clock running but no data being transferred).

I've run disk checks on all drives and they have come back fine. Any suggestions?

I know I'm supposed to have a case number but the system in question is currently offline for maintenance, bear with me and I'll get one ASAP
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Slow/stalled backup to rotated drives

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Benjamin,

Can you cancel the backup job and restart it?
I've run disk checks on all drives and they have come back fine. Any suggestions?
Can you compare the average performance of the regular file copy operation via windows explorer and the backup job? Check the backup to internal volume - is that faster?
GrandAdmiral
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Benjamin Chennells-Webb

Post by GrandAdmiral »

Dima P. wrote:Can you cancel the backup job and restart it?
Barely, both the Veeam interface and Windows Explorer slow to a complete crawl. Often this necessitates a reboot of the PC. It also doesn't help, the job still runs just as slow or stalls on retry.
Dima P. wrote:Can you compare the average performance of the regular file copy operation via windows explorer and the backup job? Check the backup to internal volume - is that faster?
Can't believe I haven't done this yet... I'll give it a try and let you know.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Veeam interface and Windows Explorer slow to a complete crawl
Then it looks like a performance issue of this device. You can also test the backup to another removable storage (of course, if you have one).