Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Share iSCSI backend storage through NFS backup repsoitory

Post by kapple »

Hi,

We have 2 Drobo B1200i iSCSI arrays. They are configured as VMFS datastores, and are mounted on our Veeam B&R server, which also serves as the backup repository. We want to have a separate backup repository server(s).

We just purchased 2 new Drobo B1200i iSCSI arrays, and we are redesigning our Veeam infrastructure. We plan on standing up dedicated backup repository servers, rather than have the B&R server perform that role, and I am trying to evaluate various options.

One option is to deploy a physical Linux box, and connect the backend iSCSI storage to it, and then create a NFS share. The NFS share would then be presented as a VMware datastore, and mounted as a drive on the backup repository server (Windows VM). The thinking is that that front-end NFS might be faster then direct iSCSI. We have SSDs deployed to the Drobo for caching as well.

Another option is to directly attach the iSCSI storage to a Windows VM, which will be the backup repository.

Lastly, we can continue what we are doing, and create VMware datastores on the Drobo, and use these on the Windows VM as the backup repository.

Does anyone have experience with using back-end iSCSI storage shared out via NFS? Are there any thoughts on whether one scenario would be more beneficial than the others?

Thanks,
Ken
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Share iSCSI backend storage through NFS backup repsoitor

Post by foggy »

I'd warn you against storing backups on VMFS.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
One option is to deploy a physical Linux box, and connect the backend iSCSI storage to it, and then<...>
...and then just choose that linux server as a repository - Veeam will deploy an agent on the host so you can use the iSCSI LUN as a target.
The thinking is that that front-end NFS might be faster then direct iSCSI.
Both are comparable, you'll probably get more overhead than speed gain due to the amount of "nested" protocols that you are going to use, however I think that you should perform some tests.
Another option is to directly attach the iSCSI storage to a Windows VM, which will be the backup repository
That will work too and has some advantages.

Thanks
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Post by kapple »

Thanks to both PTide & foggy.