Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Virtual Appliance Mode

Post by ober72 »

Hi Folks,

What exactly makes virtual appliance mode perform better than network mode? As I understand it there is still a vmware snapshot taking place and if your backup appliance is on the network the data will still have to be transferred over the network to it if your storage repository is on the appliance.

Off the top of my head the fact that it is using hot add would take the load off the vm being backed up and this would be moved to the vm acting as proxy. The documentation claims that when using virtual appliance mode it does not have to use the vmware network stack so I assume there must be a lot more overhead when going from backed up vm to the backup proxy on a veeam server appliance.

thanks
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Virtual Appliance Mode

Post by PTide »

Hi,

In Hot-add mode backup proxy attaches the virtual disk snapshot directly to SCSI bus so no data is transferred via network (ESXi host --> mgmt interface --> network --> backup proxy NIC)

In Network mode the snapshot data is obtained via mgmt interface so the data path is ESXi host --> mgmt interface --> network --> backup proxy NIC

Thanks
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Hi Ptide

Thanks, The paths above look the same, maybe that is just a typo Esxi host --> mgmt interface ---> network -->backup proxy NIC

I guess this still would not help with Esxi taking a long time to remove snapshots, but if it speeds up the backup then the overall time would decrease.

Is there anything to watch out for when switching to this mode? I am currently using network mode and the performance is not great (on a 1Gbs network unfortunately), but I don't want to try anything new that might create issues or down time obviously.

thanks again
Geoff Burke
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Forgot one more question, how much load does this put on the vm that is performing the role of backup proxy, can I use and existing server that has another role or would it be better to dedicate a small server for this task?

cheers
Geoff Burke
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

The paths above look the same, maybe that is just a typo Esxi host --> mgmt interface ---> network -->backup proxy NIC
Not a typo but a sidenote showing how exactly would data travel in case of Network mode usage, sorry for confusion.
I guess this still would not help with Esxi taking a long time to remove snapshots, but if it speeds up the backup then the overall time would decrease.
Correct, faster snapshot data processing results in snapshot to be released sooner.
Is there anything to watch out for when switching to this mode? I am currently using network mode and the performance is not great (on a 1Gbs network unfortunately), but I don't want to try anything new that might create issues or down time obviously.
Please see this KB and feel free to ask additional questions, if any arise.
how much load does this put on the vm that is performing the role of backup proxy, can I use and existing server that has another role or would it be better to dedicate a small server for this task?
That depends on the amount of tasks that run concurrently, please check system requirements
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Excellent thanks for the quick answer

cheers
Geoff Burke
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Hot-add mode does add some processing time at the beginning and end of the job while the virtual disks are mounted/unmounted from the proxy VM. For jobs that take a short amount of time in Network mode you will likely see the jobs take 5-10 minutes longer when you switch to Hot-add.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Thanks Steve good to know.
Geoff Burke