Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

"In-Time instant SQL Recovery" - possible?

Post by mkretzer » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

we have some rather large databases which we backup with Veeam with log backup. Now we have to do restores to several points in time which works very good but takes forever, because several hundert GB of database have to be restored + log recovered by veeam.

Why is there no posibilty to do a "In-Time instant SQL Recovery"? Most of the funcationality for that should already be in the code - for example exporting data from the Veeam Explorer maps the newest and oldest log restore point to the staging SQL server....

Export is not an option as the table in question is nealy as big as the database...

Markus
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Re: "In-Time instant SQL Recovery" - possible?

Post by mkretzer » 1 person likes this post

I just found a way... We have to go to export data in Veeam Explorer and select the point in time.
At that time Veeam will attach a temporary database to the staging SQL which then can be accessed directly - as long as the export wizard is open (no need to really restore something with Veeam).

So sind really EVERYTHING for this is in the software why is this not an official functionality? :-)

Markus
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Markus. We will see about adding a UI for this when we get some spare cycles. In fact, we've been promoting file-level restore using robocopy/xcopy/etc. while Backup Browser window is open (so, exact same concept) for certain use cases for many years now, but it never made it to the GUI still as a separate option... because it works already without any special UI, so higher priority UI features always get priority instead. Thanks!
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: VanillaMastermind

[MERGED] SQL Server - Can I view a database right on staging

Post by VanillaMastermind »

I am able to export database files, as well as restore databases (and tables, etc) just fine. However, I am wondering if there is a way to view a database right on the staging server. Since Veeam has already mounted the backup volume to prepare for a restore, shouldn't there be a way to view the database contents in SSMS by connecting to the staging SQL Server instance without actually performing a restore/export?
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Re: SQL Server - Can I view a database right on staging serv

Post by mkretzer »

Look at my post:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/in-time-ins ... 35523.html

I wondered exactly the same and found out it workes quite well :-)
VanillaMastermind
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: VanillaMastermind

Post by VanillaMastermind »

mkretzer wrote:I just found a way... We have to go to export data in Veeam Explorer and select the point in time.
At that time Veeam will attach a temporary database to the staging SQL which then can be accessed directly - as long as the export wizard is open (no need to really restore something with Veeam).

So sind really EVERYTHING for this is in the software why is this not an official functionality? :-)

Markus
Markus,

For clarity, in Veeam B&R 9, I go to "Export Schema" -> "Export database schema and data", then pick a point to restore to. I click "Next". I am then on a screen that shows all the database objects that can be recovered. Once this screen is up, in SQL Server Management Studio, I navigate to the Veeam "Staging Server", and I can see the database there with a GUID on the end, such as "DatabaseName_123d6b7c-c135-4abb-a214-76f1d0cc4205". When I cancel the restore wizard, this database then gets detached from the staging server. Is that the method you are using? I agree that this functionality should be noted in the wizard somewhere as that is VERY helpful functionality that can save time over trying to export or restore to another location, along with having to worry about storage concerns, etc. Great find!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend

Post by mkretzer »

VanillaMastermind wrote:Once this screen is up, in SQL Server Management Studio, I navigate to the Veeam "Staging Server", and I can see the database there with a GUID on the end, such as "DatabaseName_123d6b7c-c135-4abb-a214-76f1d0cc4205". When I cancel the restore wizard, this database then gets detached from the staging server. Is that the method you are using? !
Indeed! I did this today two times for a 650 GB Database... Would have taken hours any other way...