Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Uglybob
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Restore Speeds Limited

Post by Uglybob »

Hi,

I've been testing a new storage vendors appliance (Exablox) and have found an issue with restore speeds. This isnt specific to that vendor though, it seems to happen no matter what esxi environment (5.5), network speeds, servers, location, hardware.

I created some VeeamZip and standard backup jobs to the Exablox, CIFS Share on a 2008 Server and Exagrid. (All backups as per each vendors recommendations.) When trying to do a full VM restore, I get a max of about 12MB/s. I've been been trying to track the restore path and can see that I dont have any network or storage bottleneck. I can just do a direct copy of the devices at 100MB/s and backup to tape is quick.

Just after people ideas on where I can troubleshoot next?

Target Storage: HP 3PAR
Target ESXi: HP BL460c, IBM x3650M3
Target Hypervisor: ESXi 5.5

Thanks is advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore Speeds Limited

Post by foggy »

Have you tried any other (raw) storage to compare? Restore from a backup stored on a deduplicating appliance requires data rehydration and random reads mostly, while direct copy is sequential and cannot be compared to restore in this sense.
Uglybob
Influencer

Post by Uglybob »

I did a restore from the Exablox, 2008 CIFS Share (non-dedupe) and Exagrid. All same results.

While working with Exablox support, they can see large wait times between requests to the device so I doubt its the storage devices.

Cheers.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Are you using hotadd on target during restore?
Uglybob
Influencer

Post by Uglybob »

The proxies are only configured for direct storage access without any fallback and during the restore I get no option to choose, just to restore, VM tags and which proxy to force it to.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What Veeam B&R version are you using? Haven't you tried to restore in network mode?