Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Formatting Large disk partition in Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

Post by albertwt »

People,

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 as the Veeam Backup repository. While provisioning new multiple large LUNs larger than 11 TB, I noticed that I cannot perform Format /L or even using Format-Volume -UseLargeFRS.

Does the hotfix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/982018 can enable this feature ?

Note:
I'm using Veeam Backup version 9.0 Update 1
The Disk array is 2x HP D2600 and 2x D2700 (DAS) 7200 rpm SATA disk shelf connected using P411 RAID controller in two different slots.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: Formatting Large disk partition in Windows Server 2008 R

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

/L is only available on Server 2012 and 2012R2 and is primarily used when you're going to enable dedup on the volume. If at all possible I'd recommend running all your Veeam servers on 2012R2
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Dave, the Backup server which is running Veeam Backup software 9.0 U1 is already on 2012 R2.
The reason I upgrade it to 2012 R2 is because I need to perform FLR from deduped Win2012R2 File Server VM.

My understanding with running Win 2012 R2 deduped backup repository for Veeam is that it slows down the backup and recovery process hence defeats the purpose of quicker RPO / RTO.
--
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

The depends on how you set it up, certainly a windows dedup system won't slow down backups as by default it will only attempt to dedup files older than 3 days, and it's a separate process, it's not done during data write. Restores may be slowed down, depending on what you're restoring and what backup options you use.

For example, if you leave the volume dedup settings on 3 days and use reverse incremental and are restoring from the latest backup then you won't be accessing any dedup'd data at all and the restore will run at full speed. Using forever forward you'll likely be trying to read at least some dedup'd data unless you're only pulling data from a very recent incremental.

The reason I say use 2012R2 and /L anyway is more for future proofing. If you decide to turn on dedup later, you'll be able to without having to reformat your repo, and by all indications windows dedup is going to become much better with Server 2016, to the point where you may simple upgrade the OS and then want to turn it on. Without having used /L on the format, that won't be a viable option
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Thanks for the expalanation Dave.

I will change all of my Reverse Incremental backup into Forward Incremental now since the disk load is lighter.

Yes, you are right, maybe later on in the future I will perform inline upgrade of the existing Windows Server 2008 R2 into 2012 R2 for deduplication.
--