Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Backup Copy Job - Copy Every Setting

Post by bunger »

I am a bit confused regarding the "Copy Every..." setting on Backup Copy Jobs.

I currently have a Backup job that backs up 6 servers to a local repository and then a Backup Copy job that copies those to a branch office via a WAN accelerator link.

The backup job is reverse incremental and I already seeded the full backups to the offsite location.

The backup job starts at 5:30 and now usually finishes by 8pm.

The backup copy job has the backup job selected as the "Objects to process" and is set to "Copy every 1 Day starting at 8:15."

My target settings are as follows:
Restore Points to Keep: 7
Archival: 4 weekly, 2 monthly

The rub is that the Backup copy job will randomly fail with various errors against some of the VMs in the backup ( some will copy successfully ). Example errors are ( they are not all in the same job ):
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to create or open file [fileName.vib]. Agent failed to process method {Stg.AddKeySets}.

Copy interval has expired.

Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval.

I am thinking that the copy job will kick off as soon as the main backup job finishes and then it hits its Copy Every time setting or more or less interrupting itself?

Can anyone explain how the Copy Every setting should work?

Thanks in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job - Copy Every Setting

Post by foggy »

bunger wrote:I am thinking that the copy job will kick off as soon as the main backup job finishes and then it hits its Copy Every time setting or more or less interrupting itself?
The best practice is to schedule the backup copy job 5 minutes later its source backup job starts. This makes it monitor the backup job execution and start copying data once the new restore points appear.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

gotcha. So if the backup job is set to start at 5:30, I would set the copy job "Copy Every" value to be 5:35?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct.
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

Thanks!!
bunger
Expert

Post by bunger »

I have adjusted the Copy Every setting such that the job starts shortly after the start time of the main backup job. However, I seem to consistently get this error with one of the VMs:

Code: Select all

6/2/2016 7:42:30 AM :: Processing <SERVERName> Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Failed to create or open file [D:\Backups\Nightly Replication - Nightly\Nightly Replication - Nightly2016-06-01T173500.vib].
Agent failed to process method {Stg.AddKeySets}.

Any other suggested tweaks?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Isn't there any process locking the file, such as antivirus or something similar? Anyway, the described situation doesn't look expected, so, it stands to reason to reach our support team. Thanks.
frankj
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: FRANK Jacques

Post by frankj »

im getting random locks as well same scenario

Error: Le processus ne peut pas accéder au fichier car ce fichier est utilisé par un autre processus Failed to create or open file [K:\Backups\8. SRV-Exchange vers SANFNAS1\8. SRV-Exchange vers SANFNAS12016-05-30T173559.vbk]. Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [veeamfs:-1:7ad5ae48-e360-4ba0-be4f-ee8ae96bd2db (vm-1932)\summary.xml@K:\Backups\8. SRV-Exchange vers SANFNAS1\8. SRV-Exchange vers SANFNAS12016-05-30T173559.vbkVBK: 'veeamfs:-1:7ad5ae48-e360-4ba0-be4f-ee8ae96bd2db (vm-1932)\summary.xml@K:\Back
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Frank, you can also cheсk whether the files are used bн any third-party application and contact support for further assistance.
g2gsr
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Massarello

[MERGED] Backup Copy Job - Process cannot access file....

Post by g2gsr »

Hello all. Quick question here. I have a customer that ships backup copies to us. The customer's Veeam server, which is also serving as the source proxy, connects to a 2008R2 Proxy in our environment. The target proxy also houses the repository via direct attached iSCSI. I frequently get errors on the Backup Copy jobs such as:

6/28/2016 5:07:31 AM :: Processing ORL-FS01 Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Failed to create or open file [[b][color=#BF0000]B:\Backups\VS-ATL01-BMS-C025-Backup03_1\VS-ATL01-BMS-C025-Backup032016-06-28T000000.vib[/color][/b]].
Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [veeamfs:-1:7bcf1bbc-f02f-4f26-9e7e-20f9f352c986 (vm-186)\summary.xml@B:\Backups\VS-ATL01-BMS-C025-Backup03_1\VS-ATL01-BMS-C025-Backup032016-06-28T000000.vibVBK: 'veeamfs:-1:7bcf1bbc-f02f-4f26-9e7e-20f9f352c986 (vm-186)\summary.xml@B:\Backups\ 
The backup copy file highlighted in the error is the file on the target proxy/repository. I was wondering if anyone knows why/what process could be using this file, and/or any tips on how to track down the process using the file. I'm at a bit of a loss because I would imagine the only thing that could be using a VIB from a backup copy job on the target repo would be the backup copy job itself. The job usually completes successfully on a subsequent job, hence why I am hitting the forums rather than support; wondering if there is quick/easy answer here.

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Try to review the suggestions above and if nothing helps, please open a support case for further investigation. Thanks!
rookie
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew

[MERGED] Copy Job failed to process method {stg.addkeysets}

Post by rookie »

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Veeam forum and even fairly new to Veeam in general. I've been having issues with backup copy jobs where MOST of the VMs finish the copy job from their remote site to my central cloud provider in my datacenter, but once they get to the last two or three VMs...BAM...stg.addkeysets error. I've been working with Veeam support over the past few weeks trying to fix it and they've been helpful, but we're still not to a resolution so I'm just trying to get some input and see if anyone else has seen this before. Any ideas? Google hasn't been any help and I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot this. Thanks in advance all!

Exact Error:
8/2/2017 3:30:56 AM :: Processing VMNAME Error: An unexpected network error occurred.
Failed to write data to the file [RelativePath:\COPY _ CLOUD\COPY _ JOBNAMED2017-07-27T000000.vib].
Agent failed to process method {Stg.AddKeySets}.

Version: Veeam 9.5 Update 2
Backup Source: Client remote sites
Backup Target: My cloud service provider in my datacenter
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Matthew, please provide your support case ID for reference.